Director, Business Development
Xwing is a cutting-edge aerospace technology company focused on revolutionizing the future of aviation. Backed by industry veterans and top-tier investors, our mission is to build a safer, more efficient, and more accessible air transportation system powered by autonomous flight. By combining artificial intelligence, proprietary software, and hardware solutions, Xwing is bringing uncrewed aircraft to commercial aviation. We are computer scientists, roboticists, and aerospace experts who are at the forefront of the transformation of the aviation industry.
Founded in 2016, Xwing is based in Northern California with offices in San Francisco and in Concord, CA. In 2021, Xwing completed the world's first fully autonomous cargo flight with a remote crew supervising the flight from the ground. In 2023, Xwing became the first company with a Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) certification project for an uncrewed aircraft system for large aircraft.
Visit xwing.com to learn more, and see all available positions under "Careers" to join our rapidly growing team.
Who We’re Looking For:
Xwing is seeking an accomplished and results-oriented Director of Business Development to identify, nurture and acquire strategic partnerships and business opportunities to drive growth and profitability within the company. This position offers a unique opportunity to play a pivotal role in shaping the future of autonomous aviation across both commercial and military applications.
Compensation is commensurate with experience.
Some Key Responsibilities:
- Business Development: Identify and pursue new business opportunities, including customer acquisition, strategic partnerships, and expansion into new markets, to achieve revenue and market share targets.
- Partnership Development: Establish and nurture strategic partnerships with key industry players, including aircraft manufacturers, airlines, logistics companies, regulatory bodies, and government entities, to drive adoption and maximize market reach.
- Relationship Management: Build and maintain strong relationships with existing and potential customers, understanding their needs, addressing concerns, and providing exceptional customer service and support.
- Market Intelligence: Stay abreast of market trends, competitive landscape, and industry developments to identify new opportunities, potential risks, and inform business strategies and decision-making.
- Contract Negotiations: Lead contract negotiations and close deals with customers and partners, ensuring favorable terms and mutually beneficial agreements.
- Team Leadership: Build and manage a high-performing business development team, providing coaching, mentorship, and guidance to foster professional growth and maximize team effectiveness.
- Collaboration: Work closely with cross-functional teams, including engineering, operations, finance, and legal, to ensure seamless execution of business development initiatives and successful project delivery.
- Experience: A minimum of 5 years of experience in business development, sales, or related roles, preferably within the aerospace, DoD, aviation, or technology sectors. Experience in military domains is highly desirable.
- Business Acumen: Strong business and financial acumen with a proven track record of developing and implementing successful commercial strategies, driving revenue growth, and delivering on business objectives.
- Industry Knowledge: In-depth knowledge of the aerospace industry, including key commercial and military stakeholders, market dynamics, regulatory landscape, and emerging trends. Familiarity with autonomous systems and aviation technologies is a plus.
- Strategic Thinking: Demonstrated ability to think strategically, analyze market trends, identify opportunities, and develop innovative business models to capitalize on market potential.
- Partnership Management: Proven experience in establishing and managing strategic partnerships and alliances, with a strong network within the aviation industry and relevant commercial and military stakeholders.
- Negotiation Skills: Excellent negotiation and contract management skills, with the ability to structure and close complex deals while ensuring the best interests of the company are maintained.
- Leadership Qualities: Strong leadership presence, with the ability to inspire and motivate cross-functional teams, build consensus, and drive results in a collaborative environment.
- Communication Skills: Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to effectively convey complex concepts and value propositions to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Adaptability: Thrives in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, and can navigate ambiguity, changing priorities, and challenging situations with resilience and composure.
- Education: A bachelor's degree in business, engineering, or a related field is required. An advanced degree or MBA is preferred but not mandatory.
As the Director of Business Development at Xwing, you will have the opportunity to drive strategic partnerships, and shape the company's market presence across both commercial and military applications. If you are a visionary leader with a strong business development background and a passion for transforming aviation through innovative technologies, we invite you to apply and be part of the Xwing team.
Compensation & Benefits:
Annual base salary range: $150,000 - $230,000
- Annual bonus
- Equity and 401k
- Unlimited PTO
- Parental leave
- Health, dental, and vision insurance for employees and dependents
- Long-term and short-term disability
- Various voluntary benefits
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (EAR / ITAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the U.S. and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Employer provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. In addition to federal law requirements, employer complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Employer expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.