Staff Software Engineer - Data Platform
Liftoff is the leading growth acceleration platform for the mobile industry, helping advertisers, publishers, game developers and DSPs scale revenue growth with solutions to market and monetize mobile apps.
Liftoff’s solutions, including Accelerate, Direct, Influence, Monetize, Intelligence, and Vungle Exchange, support over 6,600 mobile businesses across 74 countries in sectors such as gaming, social, finance, ecommerce, and entertainment. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in Redwood City, CA, Liftoff has a diverse, global presence.
About the Data Platform team:
The Data platform team manages Liftoff’s data infrastructure that powers analytics and ML across the company. This role is open to find a strong backend engineer that’d help evolve this infrastructure to support increased scale, faster data access and experimentation.
This role is eligible to work out of any of our below North America office locations or is eligible for full-time remote work in one of our entities.
US office locations: Redwood City (HQ), Los Angeles, New York City
Additionally, Liftoff recently announced approved North American locations from which some employees may request to work from any city and county: California, Colorado, Idaho, Illinois, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Nevada, New Jersey, New York, North Carolina, Oregon, Texas, Utah and Washington in the US, and Canada.
AS A BACKEND ENGINEER AT LIFTOFF, YOU WILL:
- Build and have end-to-end ownership of Liftoff's core engines, including distributed data stores, data processing pipelines, and high-performance services.
- Improve tooling and infrastructure to ship multiple times a day with quantified impact on millions of users and our business's revenue.
- Partner with the product team to plan short and long term strategy
- Contribute to an “engineering excellence” culture through state-of-the-art tools, risk-driven testing, explainable systems, and code review.
- Join a nimble, consistently excellent, and experienced engineering team.
Desired qualities and experience:
- B.S. or higher in Computer Science (or equivalent work experience) and 8+ years software engineering experience.
- 3+ years of experience building and maintaining large-scale systems
- Excited to work on large scale data stores and distributed systems.
- Experience building high scale distributed systems and backend architectures.
- Strong coding ability - experience in Go and Clojure is a plus, but not required
- Solid core CS fundamentals (data structures, algorithms, architecting systems).
- A high bar for quality and perfection, and the ability to temper it when necessary to ship.
- Sets ego aside in pursuit of finding the best solution, no matter where it comes from.
- Self-motivated and ability to get things done.
- Ability to lead across team and role boundaries to effect large scale change in culture and systems.
- A healthy sense of fun!
NICE TO HAVE:
- Experience in big data engines such as Trino, Spark
- Experience with Hive metastore, Iceberg or Delta lake
- Experience with data stores such as Redis or KVRocks
Working at Liftoff is fast-paced, fun, and challenging, and we thrive on innovation. Come join our team and help shape the future of the mobile app ecosystem. If this role sounds interesting to you, we would love to hear from you!
Liftoff offers all employees a full compensation package that includes equity and health/vision/dental benefits associated with your country of residence. Base compensation will vary based on candidate location and experience. The following are our base salary ranges for this role:
SF Bay Area, NYC, Los Angeles/Orange County: $170,000 - $230,000
Seattle/Olympia, Austin, San Diego, Santa Barbara, Boston: $156,400 - $211,600
All other cities and towns in our approved states: $145,600 - $197,800
Note: we have multiple openings and are open to hiring someone at a Senior level as well =)
Liftoff is committed to providing and maintaining a work environment where all employees and candidates are treated with dignity and respect and that is free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. Liftoff is further committed to providing an equal employment opportunity for all employees and candidates for employment free from discrimination and harassment on the basis of sex, gender (including sexual harassment, gender harassment, and harassment due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, gender nonconformity, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, ancestry (including association, affiliation, or participation with persons or activities related to national origin, English-proficiency or accent, or immigration status), physical or mental disability, medical condition(s), genetic information of an individual or family member of the individual, marital or domestic partner status, age, veteran or military status, family care status, requesting or taking pregnancy, parental or disability leave, requesting an accommodation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance. All such discrimination and harassment is unlawful and will not be tolerated. Liftoff maintains a continued commitment to equal employment opportunity and expects the full cooperation of all personnel.
Agency and Third Party Recruiter Notice:
Liftoff does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers or Recruiting Team. All candidates must be submitted via our Applicant Tracking System by approved Liftoff vendors who have been expressly requested to make a submission by our Recruiting Team for a specific job opening. No placement fees will be paid to any firm unless such a request has been made by the Liftoff Recruiting Team and such a candidate was submitted to the Liftoff Recruiting Team via our Applicant Tracking System.