Staff Software Engineer, Data
Liftoff is the leading growth acceleration platform for the mobile industry, helping advertisers, publishers, game developers and DSPs scale revenue growth with solutions to market and monetize mobile apps.
Liftoff’s solutions, including Accelerate, Direct, Influence, Monetize, Intelligence, and Vungle Exchange, support over 6,600 mobile businesses across 74 countries in sectors such as gaming, social, finance, ecommerce, and entertainment. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in Redwood City, CA, Liftoff has a diverse, global presence.
At Liftoff, we’re helping mobile businesses scale and succeed via our sophisticated technology that enables them to find their most engaged users. We are a trusted guide for growth and engagement, transforming how people discover and experience apps. Advertisers depend on us to reach, acquire, and retain high-value users worldwide. We are one of the world’s largest independent, unbiased and privacy-friendly growth platforms that fuels the entire mobile app growth cycle across user acquisition, engagement, monetization, and analytics. Consistently ranked as one of the fastest growing companies and best places to work, we are a profitable company with strong product-market fit and tremendous growth opportunity. We have a creative, collaborative, and humble culture. We are data-driven, proactive, and have the courage to drive change.
Liftoff is the leading growth acceleration platform for the mobile industry, helping advertisers, publishers, game developers, and DSPs scale revenue growth with solutions to market and monetize mobile apps.
Liftoff’s solutions, including Accelerate, Direct, Influence, Monetize, Intelligence, and Vungle Exchange, support over 6,600 mobile businesses across 74 countries in sectors such as gaming, social, finance, e-commerce, and entertainment. Founded in 2012 and headquartered in Redwood City, CA, Liftoff has a diverse, global presence.
The Data Engineering team is responsible for the efficiency, quality, and availability of Liftoff data for both internal and external consumption. This role will help drive the operational planning and success of Data Availability, Engineering, and Operations while also championing new technologies and methodologies which lead to more efficient Data ingestion, model training, serving, and utilization. The Staff Software Engineer, Data is responsible for working as a part of the Data Engineering team on data availability planning and capacity planning, and working collaboratively with data scientists, Product, and the larger Engineering organization to support data needs while assisting with data-related technical issues.
This role has the potential to grow into an Engineering Manager in 6-12 months.
SF Bay Area, Greater Seattle Area, or Greater Los Angeles Area
Although we are primarily remote, we would ideally like this hire to be based in the West Coast (Pacific timezone) for easier travel to our Redwood City, CA HQ for quarterly collaboration (2x/quarter; 3-5 days per trip). This role is required to work Pacific hours (daily stand ups with Asia teams go as late as 7pm Pacific, some meetings potentially later).
- Take ownership and work with various product management, development, and quality assurance groups in a fast-paced environment
- Build partnerships with cross-functional teams with clear ways of working - software engineering, data science, product managers, business
- Design, engineer & implement robust, real-time data pipelines
- Focusing on code readability, performance, testing, documentation, continuous integration
- Focusing on building next-generation software solutions and implementing large-scale feature stores that maximize performance and reliability for our use cases
- Become familiar with core development, product release, and business
- Implementing new features and streamlining existing services
- Minimizing complexity and increasing shared understanding
- Mentor and share knowledge with team members
- BS in Computer Science with 10+ years of professional experience; or
MS in Computer Science with 6+ years of professional experience; or
PhD with 4+ years of experience; or equivalent work experience
- Proficient in at least one of the following languages: Java, Scala, Python
- Proficient in Apache Spark
- Experience with orchestration tools like Airflow
- Solid understanding of Object Oriented Design and Design Patterns
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB, etc.
- Have experience in building streaming or batch-processing data pipelines
- Knowledge of various ETL techniques and frameworks and experience in integrating data from multiple data sources.
- Solid understanding of distributed system concepts
- Tech Lead for a team of 4 or more engineers in Data technologies.
- Have an excellent understanding of scheduling and workflow frameworks and principles
Nice to Have
- Previous experience in ad-tech
- Work experience in building DataLake (Date Lakehouse) is a plus.
- Jenkins/TravisCI, Airflow, Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Github, Databricks
- Knowledge of Machine learning
- Experience in working with Presto/Trino
- Experience with data visualization techniques and tools
Liftoff's compensation strategy includes competitive market rate along with equity and benefits and perks that will give our employees what they need to do their best work. In order to ensure teams are compensated fairly for the work performed, we map out specific levels and take into consideration the cost of labor within each location.
The minimum base pay for this position in the US depends on the location and falls in the following zones:
SF Bay Area, New York City, Los Angeles, Orange County: $170,000
Seattle/Olympia, Austin, Boston, San Diego, Santa Barbara: $150,000
All other cities in our approved to hire states: $145,000
Working at Liftoff is fast-paced, fun, and challenging, and we thrive on innovation. Come join our team and help shape the future of the mobile app ecosystem. If this role sounds interesting to you, we would love to hear from you!
Liftoff is committed to providing and maintaining a work environment where all employees and candidates are treated with dignity and respect and that is free of bias, prejudice, and harassment. Liftoff is further committed to providing an equal employment opportunity for all employees and candidates for employment free from discrimination and harassment on the basis of sex, gender (including sexual harassment, gender harassment, and harassment due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding, and related conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, gender nonconformity, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, ancestry (including association, affiliation, or participation with persons or activities related to national origin, English-proficiency or accent, or immigration status), physical or mental disability, medical condition(s), genetic information of an individual or family member of the individual, marital or domestic partner status, age, veteran or military status, family care status, requesting or taking pregnancy, parental or disability leave, requesting an accommodation, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local law, regulation, or ordinance. All such discrimination and harassment is unlawful and will not be tolerated. Liftoff maintains a continued commitment to equal employment opportunity and expects the full cooperation of all personnel.
Agency and Third Party Recruiter Notice:
Liftoff does not accept unsolicited resumes from individual recruiters or third-party recruiting agencies in response to job postings. No fee will be paid to third parties who submit unsolicited candidates directly to our hiring managers or Recruiting Team. All candidates must be submitted via our Applicant Tracking System by approved Liftoff vendors who have been expressly requested to make a submission by our Recruiting Team for a specific job opening. No placement fees will be paid to any firm unless such a request has been made by the Liftoff Recruiting Team and such a candidate was submitted to the Liftoff Recruiting Team via our Applicant Tracking System.