Lead Embedded Application Software Engineer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Sunday, May 21, 2023
Headquartered in San Francisco, California, with offices in Stuttgart, Germany, Shaper was founded in 2012 with a mission of making precision cutting easy and accessible to craftspeople everywhere. In pursuit of that goal, Shaper developed Origin, the world's first handheld CNC router. Today, Shaper supports thousands of woodworkers and craftspeople around the globe with an expanding range of hardware and software tools that are designed to intuitively meet users' creative needs.
We’re looking for an Application Software Engineer to help us build unique software experiences that run on our custom-embedded hardware platforms. The software you will build will leverage your knowledge of digital fabrication, computer perception, and computational geometry. In this role, you will be instrumental in helping Shaper to pioneer an entirely new field and develop products with large, active, and passionate user communities.
This position is open to candidates based in the San Francisco Bay Area, but in-office time is flexible. Because the role will involve frequent interactions with Shaper hardware that is in development, this role will need to have the ability to come into the office/workshop when needed. On days when this is not required, flexible work-from-home is an option.
- While this position will have regular opportunities to work across our software ecosystem (Shaper Origin, in-development products, and web if desired), an ideal candidate will take a software leadership role in the development of on-tool application software for Shaper Origin and unreleased products
- Prototype and implement new user interactions and application functionality using Qt, Boost, and other C++ libraries
- Develop robust design applications to enable and empower our users' creativity
- Build modern, multithreaded, C++ software, using modern design patterns
- Design and implement software architectures and data structures for managing complex applications
- Collaborate with our existing vision, web, and on-tool engineers
- Validate your work through automated testing and close collaboration with our Embedded Systems, Quality Assurance, and Build Systems team
- Bring projects all the way from prototype to production, and own ongoing development and updates
You might be a good fit if you:
- Have 5+ years experience with C++
- Have 2+ years experience leading small teams
- Have experience with OpenCV and OpenGL
- Have experience working in production codebases, and can lead a team through influence to drive best practices and high standards of quality
- Are comfortable making architectural and technical decisions to execute against a problem statement
- Are experienced with using Qt for embedded application development
- Have familiarity with Yocto-built Linux distributions for embedded systems
- Have developed embedded platforms
- Take pride in your problem-solving and debugging skills
- Are a strong written and verbal communicator
- Are passionate about user experience
- Are looking to learn and grow
Even better if you:
- Have an interest in 2D and 3D computer graphics and linear algebra (e.g., using matrices for transforming from one coordinate system to another)
- Have experience creating and modify algorithms for generating and displaying vector graphics on the web
- Love to make digital and/or physical things
What we offer:
- A take what you need vacation and sick leave policy
- Generous medical, dental, and vision benefits
- Generous parental leave
- 401k plan with matching
- Commuter benefits
- Employee discounts on Shaper’s products and our partner brands
- Access to a full woodshop at our San Francisco HQ, with support from experienced staff to help realize your projects
- Base: $150k to $195k
- Range is base pay only and does not include potential annual performance bonus nor benefit value
- Total comp may be higher or lower depending on experience level and location
- Even more experienced than we are looking for in this role? We'd still like to hear from you! Please apply and let's chat.
Although we do our best to list everything we are looking for in a candidate, we are very likely missing skills and/or attributes that could make you a great fit for the role. Research has shown that women and other marginalized groups are less likely to apply if they don’t clearly meet every requirement. This means we both might miss out on a great opportunity—it never hurts to take a chance and apply!
See more open positions at Shaper Tools
Something looks off?