Machine Learning Intern ('24)
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
There are internships and then there's the Tindership program. Forget boring busywork—spend your summer as part of our team, making a real impact on our business. Tinder interns gain a meaningful experience connecting with their mentor and managers, participating in large-scale projects, and collaborating with other interns in our flagship Tindership hackathon. You’ll join an inclusive workplace and gain real-world experiences and exposure to Tinder's culture.
About the Role
As a Machine Learning Engineer at Tinder you will help us explore a vast amount of data and derive knowledge to improve user experience, safety, monetization and generally make the world a better place. We are deeply invested in leveraging data driven approaches to understand user preferences and generate business insights that will shape the future of an app that is widely known the world over.
Where you'll work
This is a hybrid role and requires in-office collaboration three days per week. The position will be located in Los Angeles, CA.
What you'll do:
- Work with truly big data (1.6B+ user swipes per day)
- Gain real-world experience on exciting challenges to improve the user experience
- Design deep learning models for computer vision and natural language processing
- Design and implement state-of-the-art machine learning algorithms in distributed machine learning frameworks such as Spark
- Develop data-driven approaches to understand user profiles
- Work closely with a Senior Engineers to develop machine learning solutions to further Tinder’s business goals
- Participate in the annual Tindership Hackathon, presenting with your team to the entire Tinder team and panel of executives.
What we're looking for:
- Aspiring ML Engineer who’s excited to work on large scale challenges with cutting-edge technology
- Practical knowledge of how to build efficient end-to-end ML workflows
- Proficient in Python Hands-on experience in designing and building ML models
- Foundational knowledge of basic Computer Science principles: data structures and algorithms.
- Currently pursuing a BS/BA, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or a related field (Graduation date of December 2024 onward)
Nice to have:
- Prior internship or work experience in ML/SWE-ML
- Exposure to Software Engineering and/or enterprise-scale data engineering
- Knowledge of ML frameworks like Tensorflow, PyTorch, Keras, Spark ML, etc.
- Ability to effectively turn research ML papers into working code
- Familiar with designing software systems and producing high-quality code
As part of our team, you'll enjoy:
- The liveliness of a startup with the impact of a global business
- Collaborating with a team of creative, fun and driven colleagues
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun, and highly motivated people
- Competitive hourly pay and flexible working schedule
- Comprehensive health coverage, 401(k)
- Access to mental health resources
- Virtual yoga and fitness classes, and many other fun activities
- Virtual celebrations, parties, socials, and more
- A robust Learning + Development offering including our MentorMatch program, access to a library of 6,000+ online learning courses through Udemy
- Fully customized computer equipment to fit your needs
- The opportunity to join 8+ active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei
If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.