Data Scientist Intern ('24)
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, February 7, 2024
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
There are internships and then there's the Tindership program. Forget boring busywork—spend your summer as part of our team, making a real impact on our business. Tinder interns gain a meaningful experience connecting with their mentor and managers, participating in large-scale projects, and collaborating with other interns in our flagship Tindership hackathon. You’ll join an inclusive workplace and gain real-world experiences and exposure to Tinder's culture.
The Analytics team powers data-informed decision-making at Tinder. We are looking to add a hardworking, creative Data Scientist Intern for Summer 2024. As a Data Scientist Intern on Analytics, you will use our comprehensive dataset to develop experiments, forecasting models, automated reports, and various exploratory insights to guide our business decisions.
An effective Data Scientist at Tinder must have a passion and aptitude for turning sophisticated problems into concrete hypotheses that can be answered through thorough data analysis and A/B testing. They must also be able to disseminate their takeaways and recommendations to a variety of partners within our organization via presentations, reports, and dashboards. In this role, your insights will influence both the performance of our business and the experience of our users.
Where you'll work
This is a hybrid role and requires in-office collaboration three days per week. The position will be located in Los Angeles, CA.
What you'll do:
- Assisting with the design and evaluation of A/B tests for new product features
- Querying and analyzing in-app user behavior to help shape the organization's understanding of our existing product
- Creating new types of visualizations that expand the power of Tinder’s vast dataset
- Building dashboards and rollup tables to facilitate/automate ongoing analytical tasks
- Exploring ways that Gen AI can amplify data science and analytics at Tinder
- Applying ML models to derive insights and a better understanding of our users
What we're looking for:
- Candidates entering the final year of a Bachelor’s/Master’s/PhD degree program
- Creative, tenacious problem solvers who are passionate about our product and excited to work with our rich, complex dataset
- Ability to develop a nuanced business understanding, testable hypotheses, and meaningful findings from large datasets
- Eagerness to identify and explore new product/marketing opportunities, potential improvements to our data infrastructure, and unanswered questions about customer behavior
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and a willingness to collaborate with business partners in Product, Engineering, Design, Finance, and Marketing
- Comfort using descriptive and inferential statistics, SQL, and data visualization tools
As part of our team, you'll enjoy:
- The liveliness of a startup with the impact of a global business
- Collaborating with a team of creative, fun and driven colleagues
- Working with an extraordinary team of smart, creative, fun, and highly motivated people
- Competitive hourly pay and flexible working schedule
- Comprehensive health coverage, 401(k)
- Access to mental health resources
- Virtual yoga and fitness classes, and many other fun activities
- Virtual celebrations, parties, socials, and more
- A robust Learning + Development offering including our MentorMatch program, access to a library of 6,000+ online learning courses through Udemy
- Fully customized computer equipment to fit your needs
- The opportunity to join 8+ active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei
If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.