Staff Machine Learning Engineer - MLOps Platform
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Posted on Tuesday, January 30, 2024
Founded in Vancouver, Canada in 2003, Plenty of Fish is one of the early pioneers in the online dating industry, with one of the largest and most diverse communities of singles. We're one of the top revenue-driving brands in the Match Group (comprised of Tinder, OkCupid, Hinge and Match.com).
We love what we do, and have the ability to profoundly impact millions of people's lives every single day! Named one of BC’s Top Employers, Plenty of Fish is a great place to build friendships, grow your career and collaborate with top talent.
We work hybrid at Plenty of Fish - IRL in our downtown Vancouver office Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday and work remotely the remainder of the week!
As a Machine Learning Engineer, you will work as part of our ML Platform team, working vertically across the organization. Working alongside Data Scientists, Data Engineers, BI, Architects and Product Managers, you will be building the next tools, infrastructure and AI solutions that will allow us to scale our impact across multiple brands and product categories. With millions of daily users to serve, you will be operating AI products at an incredible scale. Best of all, your work will have a direct positive impact on our millions of daily users finding love.
So, what will you do?
- Manage ML model lifecycles, including versioning, training, retraining, deploying and monitoring
- Design and implement high-quality data pipelines that ingest vast amounts of real-time data to power models and generate accurate results
- Design scalable, reliable, and performant solutions to productionize machine learning models
- Develop tools and pipelines for tracking models and experiments
- Write optimized code that is performant, scalable, testable, maintainable and observable
- Explore, design and build AI prototypes capable of significantly altering our users’ experiences
- Work in close collaboration with Data Scientists to build AI solutions, test new algorithms, provide feedback on their performance, accuracy and scalability, also suggest alternatives
- Be responsible for maintaining and operating algorithms, code and models in production and monitor models in production to make sure that they are functioning and report on any anomalies
- Research/Investigate tools and technologies that would enable us to build and release faster
- Recommend and implement best practices for ML engineering
- Champion a data-driven culture and participate in a highly collaborative environment. We want you to share your expertise!
You'll be a match for this role if you have..
- B.S., M.S or PhD in computer science (or a scientific discipline coupled with substantial engineering experience)
- Minimum of 7+ years post graduation experience as a Machine Learning Engineer, Software Engineer with algorithm experience, or similar
- Experience managing and developing MLOps and ML Platform workloads
- Significant experience in cutting edge deep learning techniques and associated tools (such as PyTorch/Tensorflow)
- Excellent programming skills with history of deployment to production and you have a proven track record of scaling and productionizing machine learning solutions and models
- Solid understanding of mathematical modeling and statistics: inference, Bayesian methods, graphical models, network theory, likelihood estimation, Monte-Carlo methods and sampling theory
- Understanding of how to optimize machine learning models (parallelization, batching techniques, etc)
- Ability to rapidly acquire and adopt new knowledge and techniques but also thinks creatively about problems and not afraid to go “outside the box”
- Proficient with standard SQL and relational databases
- Familiarity with Python and associated data science/machine learning packages
- Comfortability working independently on large projects (demonstrated via industry or academic experience) or as part of a diverse team of different skills as necessary
- Ability to see the “big picture” and how your work relates to POF’s entire business - and the ability prioritize your research work accordingly
- Experience with GCP/AWS or other cloud providers
**We would love to hear from you, even if you don't match 100% of the requirements**
Why Plenty of Fish?
• We're recognized as one of BC's Top Employers 2023!
• Generous vacation, flex days, professional development days
• RRSP matching, and employee stock purchase plan
• Professional development budget and unlimited access to Udemy from day one
• Match Group mentorship program
• Parental leave top up and fertility preservation benefits
• Extended health & dental benefits from day one
• Corporate ClassPass membership and other wellness benefits
• And many more on our careers page
• Be Proud - We own our ship. We see challenges as opportunities and take action.
• Make Waves - We profoundly impact millions of peoples' lives, every day.
• Dive Deep - We empathize with our members and use data to surface thoughtful decisions.
• Crew Together - We're all working towards the same goals and win as a team.
Want To Dive Deeper?
We’re committed to creating an equal and inclusive environment; we welcome all crew (and prospective crew) members regardless of race, colour, ancestry, place of origin, political belief, religion, marital status, family status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, conviction unrelated to employment, or any other prohibited ground of discrimination recognized by applicable law. Plenty of Fish is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace.
If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please speak to your recruiter directly.