Staff Data Scientist, Advanced Analytics and Engineering
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, January 23, 2024
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
The Data Science & Analytics team thrives on data-driven insights to make more informed decisions through our insights into our member’s behavior, preferences, and common trends. We take ownership over the integrity of our data and work to improve data literacy across Tinder.
We are seeking a passionate and motivated Staff Data Scientist to join Tinder’s Sophisticated Analytics & Engineering team. In this role you will partner with data scientists and engineers across the company to improve and amplify our use of data and machine learning in order to derive better insights on our users and our business. In this role, you will work with Engineering to put data science techniques into self-service tools. The ideal candidate will have the right mix of hard and soft skills that allows them to technically mentor data scientists, while also effectively communicating the impact data science can have on Tinder.
In this role, you will:
- Shape the direction of some of our key data science areas - segmentation, recommendation systems, forecasting, product analytics, churn prediction and insights.
- Build models to apply various machine learning, sophisticated analytics and visualization techniques to various datasets across the company.
- Effectively communicate actionable insights to all levels of the organization with varying degrees of data science understanding and backgrounds.
- Work closely with Engineering, Product Management and Data Science to understand product usage patterns and trends and make data-driven decisions, recommendations and forecasts.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior data scientists on technical solutions, fostering a collaborative and growth-oriented environment within the team.
- Represent the data science field throughout the organization, having a powerful voice to make us more data-driven
- Build self-serving data science products to make analytics simpler within the company
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to identify and implement data science initiatives that align with business goals, and communicate insights and recommendations to collaborators in a clear and actionable way
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and standard processes in data analytics, data science, and pricing strategies.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a quantitative field.
- 7+ years of industry experience in mobile consumer products, preferably in a related industry (marketplaces, online dating, social networks, etc., is a plus).
- Experience working on projects related to segmentation, recommendation systems, causal inference, forecasting, product analytics and insights.
- Expertise with SQL and data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau or Mode) and proficiency in a programming language such as Python for data analysis and machine learning.
- Resilience and agility to react and communicate fast, prioritizing time on the most impactful projectsExcellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to present complex ideas and results to non-technical customers.
- Proven track record of successfully leading cross-functional projects, managing collaborators, and driving impact with data-driven insights. Management experience is a plus.
As a full-time employee, you will enjoy:
- Unlimited PTO (with no waiting period), 10 annual Wellness Days
- Time off to volunteer and charitable donations matched up to $15,000 annually
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage
- 100% 401(k) employer match up to 10%, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- 100% paid parental leave (including for non-birthing parents), family forming benefits, and Milk Stork, which provides access to breast milk shipping for business travel, surrogacy, and employee relocation
- Investment in your development: mentorship through our MentorMatch program, access to 6,000+ online courses through Udemy, and an annual $3,000 stipend for your professional development
- Investment in your wellness: access to mental health support via Modern Health, BetterHelp, and Insight Timer; paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance, fitness membership subsidy, and commuter subsidy
- Free subscription to Tinder Gold
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei
If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.