Senior ML Platform Engineer
Software Engineering, Data Science
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Friday, January 19, 2024
Hinge is the dating app designed to be deleted
In today's digital world, finding genuine relationships is tougher than ever. At Hinge, we’re on a mission to inspire intimate connection to create a less lonely world. We’re obsessed with understanding our users’ behaviors to help them find love, and our success is defined by one simple metric– setting up great dates. With tens of millions of users across the globe, we’ve become the most trusted way to find a relationship, for all.
About the Role
Joining Hinge’s AI Platform Core team offers a unique opportunity to help define and contribute to a budding ML platform with the goal of accelerating the development, deployment, and operations of AI enabled features on Hinge. If you are excited by the idea of working on challenges ranging from establishing our initial training and serving frameworks, building millisecond real-time predictions at scale, automating the machine learning model lifecycle, implementing model monitoring, and building support for generative AI models, then read on!
With a mission to democratize AI for Hinge, ensuring it remains easily accessible, robust, scalable, cost-efficient, and trusted you'll collaborate across our product and engineering teams, as well as with external stakeholders. You will meet our internal customers where they are and optimize towards their needs by delivering value incrementally and coupled to their problems. Being part of a small yet impactful team means having a broad scope of responsibility, and as ML is still in its early stages at Hinge, this role provides a chance to grow as a leader by mentoring others across the company. This is an exciting opportunity to own and help define the future of machine learning within a rapidly growing team!
- Own or contribute to technical designs for the feature platform, training platform, serving platform, and underlying operational infrastructure that provides incremental delivery and impact.
- Develop, maintain, and enhance reusable frameworks for AI/ML model development and deployment while establishing and driving best practices in machine learning engineering and MLOps.
- Design, advocate, and implement for availability, scalability, operational excellence, and cost management while delivering incrementally.
- Collaborate closely with ML Engineers, Data Scientists, and Product Managers to understand their needs and identify opportunities to accelerate the AI/ML development and deployment process.
- Mentor and educate ML Engineers and Data Scientists on current and up and coming tools and technologies for ML operations through presentations and documentation.
- Help design and architect an AI platform that adheres to the principles of responsible AI and simplifies privacy compliance.
- Lead build vs buy discussions on technologies that would underpin the feature, training, and serving layers.
What We're Looking For
- 3+ years of experience, depending on education, as an ML, backend, data, or platform engineer developing and working with large scale, complex systems.
- 2+ years of experience working on a cloud environment such as GCP, AWS, Azure, and with dev-ops tooling such as Kubernetes
- 1+ year of experience leading projects with at least 1 other team member through completion.
- 1+ year of experience for Senior designing and developing online and production grade ML systems.
- A degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field.
- Strong programming skills: Proficiency in languages like Python, Go, or Java.
- System design & architecture: Ability to design scalable and efficient ML systems.
- Cloud platform proficiency: The ability to utilize cloud environments such as GCP, AWS, or Azure.
- ML knowledge: A basic understanding of ML algorithms, techniques, and best practices.
- Data engineering knowledge: Skills in handling and managing large datasets including, data cleaning, preprocessing, and storage
- Collaboration and communication skills: The ability to work effectively in a team and communicate complex ideas clearly with individuals from diverse technical and non-technical backgrounds..
- Strong written communication: The ability to communicate complex ideas and technical knowledge through documentation
- Software leadership skills: A track record of leading projects through completion with quantifiable and measurable outcomes.
As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy:
401(k) Matching: We match 100% of the first 10% of pre-tax 401(k) contributions you make, up to a maximum of $10,000 per year.
Professional Growth: Get a $3,000 annual Learning & Development stipend once you’ve been with us for three months. You also get free access to Udemy, an online learning and teaching marketplace with over 6000 courses, starting your first day.
Parental Leave & Planning: When you become a new parent, you’re eligible for 100% paid parental leave (20 paid weeks for both birth and non-birth parents.)
Fertility Support: You’ll get easy access to fertility care through Carrot, from basic treatments to fertility preservation. We also provide $10,000 toward fertility preservation. You and your spouse/domestic partner are both eligible.
Date Stipend: All Hinge employees receive a $100 monthly stipend for epic dates– Romantic or otherwise. Hinge Premium is also free for employees and their loved ones.
ERGs: We have eight Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)—Asian, Unapologetic, Disability, LGBTQIA+, Vibras, Women/Nonbinary, Parents, and Remote—that hold regular meetings, host events, and provide dedicated support to the organization & its community.
At Hinge, our core values are…
Authenticity: We share, never hide, our words, actions and intentions.
Courage: We embrace lofty goals and tough challenges.
Empathy: We deeply consider the perspective of others.
Diversity inspires innovation
Hinge is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We believe success is created by a diverse workforce of individuals with different ideas, strengths, interests, and cultural backgrounds.
If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please contact email@example.com.