Backend Engineering Manager II
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 17, 2024
Hinge is the dating app designed to be deleted
In today's digital world, finding genuine relationships is tougher than ever. At Hinge, we’re on a mission to inspire intimate connection to create a less lonely world. We’re obsessed with understanding our users’ behaviors to help them find love, and our success is defined by one simple metric– setting up great dates. With tens of millions of users across the globe, we’ve become the most trusted way to find a relationship, for all.
About the Role
We are seeking a Backend Engineering Manager to join our team at Hinge.
In this role, you will lead the team responsible for the backend services that uphold the integrity of the Hinge ecosystem. Your focus will be on enabling your team to build product features that enhance user safety. As a Backend Engineering Manager, you will also play a key role in establishing and nurturing team cross-functional processes that encourage teamwork and clear communication.
- Develop an engineering roadmap for your team that supports both short and long term product goals.
- Identify technical gaps and opportunities in the team's ownership domain by staying plugged into developments in the broader tech industry and in your team’s codebase.
- Monitor Backend systems to continuously evaluate their performance, ensuring that these systems are meeting the demands of the business.
- Contribute to the architecture of your team’s systems
- Communicate effectively to audiences of various technical and non-technical backgrounds.
- Own the effectiveness of the backend Trust and Safety engineering team by managing the portfolio of technical skills on the team, and providing coaching/mentoring/feedback for IC’s.
What We're Looking For
- Strong programming skills: Prior experience with Go is preferred, or proficiency in popular languages like Python, C#, Java, Kotlin, Typescript/JS.
- System design & architecture: Be familiar with common cloud infrastructure services (e.g. queues, k-v stores, relational data stores) and distributed system concepts (e.g. state machine replication, etc.). Have experience designing and building scalable web applications in a microservice architecture.
- Cloud platform proficiency: Ability to utilize common cloud environments such as AWS, GCP, or Azure.
- Communication & Collaboration skills: Ability to work effectively in a team and communicate complex technical ideas clearly for both technical and non-technical audiences.
- Strong written communication: Ability to communicate complex ideas and technical knowledge through writing (e.g. efficient slack communication, effective technical documentation and knowledge-base organization/management).
- Leadership skills: Puts the needs of the team first. Tends towards ownership. Has a track record of leading projects through completion, and proactively solves problems when they present themselves.
- 5+ years of industry experience in an IC software engineer/developer role
- 2+ years of experience leading projects with at least 2 other team members.
- 2+ years of experience building scalable cloud services with either AWS, GCP, or Azure.
As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy:
401(k) Matching: We match 100% of the first 10% of pre-tax 401(k) contributions you make, up to a maximum of $10,000 per year.
Professional Growth: Get a $3,000 annual Learning & Development stipend once you’ve been with us for three months. You also get free access to Udemy, an online learning and teaching marketplace with over 6000 courses, starting your first day.
Parental Leave & Planning: When you become a new parent, you’re eligible for 100% paid parental leave (20 paid weeks for both birth and non-birth parents.)
Fertility Support: You’ll get easy access to fertility care through Carrot, from basic treatments to fertility preservation. We also provide $10,000 toward fertility preservation. You and your spouse/domestic partner are both eligible.
Date Stipend: All Hinge employees receive a $100 monthly stipend for epic dates– Romantic or otherwise. Hinge Premium is also free for employees and their loved ones.
ERGs: We have eight Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)—Asian, Unapologetic, Disability, LGBTQIA+, Vibras, Women/Nonbinary, Parents, and Remote—that hold regular meetings, host events, and provide dedicated support to the organization & its community.
At Hinge, our core values are…
Authenticity: We share, never hide, our words, actions and intentions.
Courage: We embrace lofty goals and tough challenges.
Empathy: We deeply consider the perspective of others.
Diversity inspires innovation
Hinge is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We believe success is created by a diverse workforce of individuals with different ideas, strengths, interests, and cultural backgrounds.
If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.