Senior ML Engineer, Trust & Safety
Software Engineering, Data Science
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Friday, January 12, 2024
Hinge is the dating app designed to be deleted
In today's digital world, finding genuine relationships is tougher than ever. At Hinge, we’re on a mission to inspire intimate connection to create a less lonely world. We’re obsessed with understanding our users’ behaviors to help them find love, and our success is defined by one simple metric– setting up great dates. With tens of millions of users across the globe, we’ve become the most trusted way to find a relationship, for all.
About the Role:
Join Hinge as a Senior Machine Learning Engineer, where you'll lead the application of AI to effectively mitigate the impact of bad actors and ensure user safety on the platform. Working closely with an expanding Trust & Safety team, you will collaborate with product managers, data scientists, engineers, and analysts to develop impactful AI solutions. In this high-impact role within a small, dynamic team, you'll have the opportunity to play a foundational role in shaping an AI-first Hinge, contributing to the next era of online dating. Your expertise will be instrumental in creating a safer and more meaningful user experience on their journey to find connection.
- Develop, deploy, and maintain machine learning models to identify and mitigate instances of fraudulent activities such as fake profiles, scams, and catfishing.
- Deliver AI-enabled product features to detect and prevent inappropriate or harmful content and behavior on Hinge.
- Building AI systems to continuously evaluate the performance of safety algorithms, ensuring they adapt to evolving threats and provide accurate results.
- Ensure that machine learning models comply with privacy regulations and company policies, taking steps to protect user data and maintain a high level of transparency in the use of AI.
- Explore new machine learning techniques, technologies, and industry best practices to continuously improve the effectiveness of safety measures and stay ahead of potential threats.
- Collaborate closely with Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Product Managers, Backend Engineers, and the AI Platform Team to ensure a comprehensive and coordinated approach to user safety.
- Communicate effectively to audiences of various technical and non-technical backgrounds
What We're Looking For
- Strong programming skills: Proficiency in languages like Python, Java or C++ and SQL
- System design & architecture: Proven track record of training and deploying large scale ML models specially DNNs. Good understanding of distributed computing for learning and inference.
- Cloud platform proficiency: The ability to utilize cloud environments such as GCP, AWS, or Azure. Familiarity with ML serving solutions like Ray, KubeFlow or W&B is a plus.
- ML knowledge: Deep understanding of DNN architectures, track record of building, debugging and fine tuning models. Familiarity with PyTorch, TF, and Keras are a plus.
- Data engineering knowledge: Skills in handling and managing large datasets including, data cleaning, preprocessing, and storage. Deep understanding of batch and streaming pipelines as well as orchestrators like Argo and Airflow.
- Collaboration and communication skills: The ability to work effectively in a team and communicate complex ideas clearly with individuals from diverse technical and non-technical backgrounds.
- Strong written communication: The ability to communicate complex ideas and technical knowledge through documentation.
- Cloud platform proficiency: The ability to utilize cloud environments such as GCP, AWS, or Azure.
- 4+ years of experience, depending on education, as an MLE or data scientist.
- 2+ years of experience in applying machine learning models in an industry setting
- 1+ years of experience developing and deploying real-time natural language processing (NLP) models.
- 1+ years of experience working on a cloud environment such as GCP, AWS, or Azure
- A degree in computer science, engineering, or a related field.
As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy:
401(k) Matching: We match 100% of the first 10% of pre-tax 401(k) contributions you make, up to a maximum of $10,000 per year.
Professional Growth: Get a $3,000 annual Learning & Development stipend once you’ve been with us for three months. You also get free access to Udemy, an online learning and teaching marketplace with over 6000 courses, starting your first day.
Parental Leave & Planning: When you become a new parent, you’re eligible for 100% paid parental leave (20 paid weeks for both birth and non-birth parents.)
Fertility Support: You’ll get easy access to fertility care through Carrot, from basic treatments to fertility preservation. We also provide $10,000 toward fertility preservation. You and your spouse/domestic partner are both eligible.
Date Stipend: All Hinge employees receive a $100 monthly stipend for epic dates– Romantic or otherwise. Hinge Premium is also free for employees and their loved ones.
ERGs: We have eight Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)—Asian, Unapologetic, Disability, LGBTQIA+, Vibras, Women/Nonbinary, Parents, and Remote—that hold regular meetings, host events, and provide dedicated support to the organization & its community.
At Hinge, our core values are…
Authenticity: We share, never hide, our words, actions and intentions.
Courage: We embrace lofty goals and tough challenges.
Empathy: We deeply consider the perspective of others.
Diversity inspires innovation
Hinge is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We believe success is created by a diverse workforce of individuals with different ideas, strengths, interests, and cultural backgrounds.
If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.