Principal Product Manager, Data
San Francisco, CA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 10, 2024
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
About the Team
As a Principal PM on Data, you will join an experienced team of Product leaders within the Product Tools Pillar at Tinder and will be reporting directly to the Director of Product Management. On the Product Tools Pillar, we enable teams to deliver quality experiences faster for our Tinder members. Our goal is to maximize Tinder’s ability to innovate by creating a frictionless, sustainable experience for our product development teams. We do this by building best-in-class product, data and developer tools. The team is a group of service-oriented, low-ego, and high-functioning multi-functional team of Engineers, Product Managers, and Analysts who want to make an outsize impact by turbocharging the efforts of every other product team in the company.
About the Role
As a Principal Product Manager, you’ll have the unique opportunity to lead Tinder's large-scale data platform product initiatives. In this role, you will be responsible for leading Tinder’s data systems, and ensuring their integrity, compliance, and supporting tools and systems for our Data Scientists and Product Managers. As a part of this, you will drive the long-term strategy for how we build data products to increase the velocity of the product, engineering, analytics, and marketing teams. This includes defining guidelines and processes, coordinating across teams, knowledge sharing, and ensuring data quality. A crucial component of this role will be managing the entire Data Lifecycle Policy for the company while fostering a data culture that supports the growth of the business. In addition, you will support legal requests and data privacy audits by facilitating data and analytics teams and implementing efficient and robust workflows.
Where you’ll work:
This is a hybrid role and requires in-office collaboration three days per week. This position is located in Los Angeles or San Francisco
In this role, you will:
- Collaborate with engineering and analyst teams to prioritize and manage the development roadmap for Tinder’s data platforms and analytical services and tools.
- Develop and implement data governance policies and operational processes to ensure the accuracy, quality, reliability, and accessibility of data.
- Establish and enforce data quality standards, monitoring services, and auditing processes for operational conformance and legal requests in a federated environment.
- Partner with our business leaders – top executives, Department Leaders, Eng leaders, and PMs - to understand their environment and needs.
- Foster a culture of data stewardship through communication, awareness campaigns, and training to advocate for accountability and ownership of data.
- Develop and implement a comprehensive enterprise data lifecycle management plan to align data best practices for engineering, product, business analytics, and legal teams.
- Establish goals, success metrics, and a roadmap by aligning them with Tinder's mission to help drive maximum impact for our business while also aligning those goals with internal stakeholders for the tools.
- Collaborate with Tinder feature teams to anticipate their needs, and help Tinder make strategic technology bets to position itself for world-class stability, agility, and delivery while maintaining a compliant data lifecycle policy, partnering closely with Analytics, Product Managers, ML Engineers, and Data Engineers.
- Champion a balanced product development process that champions passion and team pride and incentivizes the right behaviors that ensure we reach our vision.
- You have at least 10+ years of experience in technical product management, data platform development, or consumer analysis in a high-growth consumer tech company.
- Deep expertise working with Large Scale Data Platforms, Data Warehouses, Data Lakes, and Data Lakehouses.
- Track record of launching amazing data-centric products and/or managing data-driven services that shape and improve the user experience.
- Experience implementing data best practices such as data privacy, data protection, data security, and data access control policies.
- Experience working with large-scale, end-to-end data platforms and analysis solutions with exposure to platforms and tools such as [Databricks, Spark, Kafka, Cassandra, MongoDB, Redis, MySQL, DBT, Tableau, and Mode] preferred.
- Strong Leadership/Mentoring experience.
- An Innovator: You can abstract insights from qualitative and quantitative insights make tough trade-offs to launch a successful MVP, and set the teams up for quick, data-driven iterations.
- The voice of the customer: You understand how to use data and analytical insights to increase user engagement and improve understanding of consumer behavior through consumer product fundamentals and frameworks and can apply those skills toward building large-scale data products in a compliant way.
- The strategist: You know how other companies develop strategies that leverage data and analytics to increase consumer engagement through data-driven insights and how Tinder can differentiate through similar capabilities.
- A Storyteller: You connect your team's work back to objectives that the Executive team prioritizes.
- Results-Oriented: Drive results from your teams' roadmaps that deliver value for our members and business.
Nice to have:
- An advanced CS degree or MBA is a plus.
- Experience working within ML & AI engineering teams.
- Experience building internal tools or product tools.
- Experience with SQL and Python.
- Experience writing technical documentation such as guidelines, policies and training material
As a full-time employee, you will enjoy:
- Unlimited PTO (with no waiting period), 10 annual Wellness Days
- Time off to volunteer and charitable donations matched up to $15,000 annually
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage
- 100% 401(k) employer match up to 10%, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- 100% paid parental leave (including for non-birthing parents), family forming benefits, and Milk Stork, which provides access to breast milk shipping for business travel, surrogacy, and employee relocation
- Investment in your development: mentorship through our MentorMatch program, access to 6,000+ online courses through Udemy, and an annual $3,000 stipend for your professional development
- Investment in your wellness: access to mental health support via Modern Health, BetterHelp, and Insight Timer; paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance, fitness membership subsidy, and commuter subsidy
- Free subscription to Tinder Gold
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei
If you require reasonable accommodation to complete a job application, pre-employment testing, or a job interview or to otherwise participate in the hiring process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.