Staff Data Scientist, Revenue
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, November 10, 2023
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
The Data Science & Analytics team thrives on data-driven insights to make more informed decisions through our insights into our member’s behavior, preferences, and common trends. We take ownership over the integrity of our data and work to improve data literacy across Tinder!
We are seeking a passionate and motivated Staff Data Scientist to join Tinder’s pricing team! In this role you will partner with Revenue, Product, Engineering, and Finance teams to accelerate pricing and packaging decisions for all of our revenue products and lead a team of data scientists. The ideal candidate will use their experience in forecasting and subscription business logic to communicate data-driven pricing decisions directly to the executive team. This role will operate under the Revenue branch of Tinder and will focus on data related to pricing, finance, and paid-feature conversion.
Where you'll work:
This position can be located in Los Angeles or San Francisco, CA.
In this role, you will:
- Lead a team of data scientists to investigate revenue trends, study transaction behavior, and predict long-term revenue trends for the pricing team
- Apply your subscription data science experience to develop accurate ML forecasts and uplift models to provide insights into user-segment behavior, market trends, and pricing dynamics.
- Design, implement, and analyze A/B experiments to ensure statistically valid results guarded against noise and biases.
- Partner with product revenue leads to identify new opportunities by using data to make recommendations on new business initiatives.
- Work in a fast-paced and dynamic environment with concise and impactful communication directly to executive leadership.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior data scientists, fostering a collaborative and growth-oriented environment within the team.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and best practices in data analytics, data science, and pricing strategies
- Bachelor’s, Master's, and/or Ph.D. degree in a quantitative field (e.g., Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science, Economics, Physics, or related fields).
- 5+ years of industry experience in pricing strategy, subscription business logic, and revenue modeling, preferably in a related industry (mobile apps, two-sided marketplaces, online dating, social networks, etc., is a plus).
- 3+ years experience with subscription forecasting, statistical modeling, and A/B testing methodologies and comfort with descriptive statistics.
- Expertise with SQL and data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau or Mode) and proficiency in a programming language such as Python or R for data analysis and modeling.
- Resilience and agility to react and communicate fast, prioritizing time on the most impactful projects
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal, with the ability to present complex ideas and results to non-technical stakeholders.
- Proven track record of successfully leading cross-functional projects, managing collaborators, and driving impact with data-driven insights. Management experience is a plus.
As part of the team, you'll enjoy:
- Unlimited PTO (with no waiting period), 10 annual Wellness Days
- Time off to volunteer and charitable donations matched up to $15,000 annually
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage
- 100% 401(k) employer match up to 10%, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- 100% paid parental leave (including for non-birthing parents), family forming benefits, and Milk Stork, which provides access to breast milk shipping for business travel, surrogacy, and employee relocation
- Investment in your development: mentorship through our MentorMatch program, access to 6,000+ online courses through Udemy, and an annual $3,000 stipend for your professional development
- Investment in your wellness: access to mental health support via Modern Health, BetterHelp, and Insight Timer; paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance, fitness membership subsidy, and commuter subsidy
- Free subscription to Tinder Gold
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei