Senior Corporate Counsel - Intellectual Property
Dallas, TX, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
As Intellectual-Property Counsel, you will join Match Group’s growing legal team to actively manage intellectual-property related matters across Match Group’s portfolio of leading brands including Tinder, Hinge, Match, and OkCupid. The Match Group portfolio of companies provide online dating platforms globally and have a strong focus on innovation and technology.
Working for Match Group offers a unique opportunity to work on a diverse spectrum of intellectual-property issues. This is a chance to join a global legal team that is proactive, collaborative, and highly respected, and to work closely with internal clients in a fast-paced and challenging environment. In this role, you will leverage prior law-firm, and preferably corporate/in-house experience, to protect and enhance Match Group’s IP rights, educate employees about the use of IP, and establish and document best practices in legal matters relating to patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade secrets, rights of publicity, and other IP issues.
This role will report to the Director, Senior Counsel – Litigation & IP and is a hybrid position, where you will work in our Dallas office three days a week.
How you'll make an impact:
- You will provide preventive, proactive legal advice on intellectual-property issues, including trademark searches/clearances, internal and external open-source software policies, generative AI, use of social media, protection of innovations, and licensing.
- You will support the enforcement of Match Group’s existing IP portfolio by investigating ownership and host information for infringing sites, drafting and sending cease & desist letters, negotiating coexistence agreements and settlements, filing UDRP petitions, drafting pre-opposition demand letters, and managing various enforcement matters including litigation and board proceedings.
- You will help document and protect Match Group’s new innovations and manage outside counsel prosecuting new domestic and international patents on behalf of Match Group brands.
- You will create and revise internal policies and guidelines for other lawyers working on IP matters.
- You will work day-to-day with in-house brand attorneys on contracts, promotions, and product and marketing matters, and you will work closely with internal business clients to provide training and advice.
We could be a match if:
- You have a J.D. degree and membership in good standing in at least one state bar (Texas preferred).
- You have at least 7 years of experience in intellectual-property law with a top law firm and/or in-house legal department experience and handling and managing both prosecution and contentious matters.
- You have experience with domestic and international patent prosecution and enforcement.
- You have experience enforcing trademarks, copyrights, and patents in litigation and pre-litigation, including researching infringement and infringers, drafting cease & desist letters, negotiating settlements, filing UDRP petitions, and handling inter-partes and ex-parte board proceedings.
- You have excellent writing and editing skills, and are comfortable drafting and revising letters, briefs, and discovery.
- You are an effective communicator, with the ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with clients, coworkers, and colleagues.
- You have the ability to work autonomously, issue spot, and provide incisive and pragmatic advice. You are an outside-the-box, strategic thinker.
- You have excellent problem-solving skills and can manage a project from beginning to end.
- You exercise good judgment and a high level of professional integrity.
- You possess the leadership acumen and credibility to inspire confidence among business clients in a high growth business.
What's the team like?
- Our team is highly collaborative, and you will work with cross-functional teams to inspire confidence among business clients in a high-growth business with an approachable, friendly, and patient demeanor.
- Successful individuals on this team have impeccable attention to detail, strong sense of ownership & accountability, and can manage competing expectations, prioritize effectively, and deliver high-quality, error-free work in a fast-paced environment.
Why Match Group?
Our mission is simple – to help people find love and happiness! We love our employees too and understand the importance of all life's milestones. Here are some of the benefits we are proud to offer:
Mind & Body – Medical, mental health, and wellness benefits to support your overall health and well-being
Financial Wellness – Competitive compensation, 100% employer match on 401k contributions up to 10% (cap at $10,000), as well as an employee stock purchase program to help you feel supported in your financial security
Unplug – Generous PTO and 15 paid holidays so you can unplug
Career – Annual training allowance for professional development and ERG membership opportunities and events so you feel connected and empowered in your work
Family – Families come in all shapes and sizes so we offer 20 weeks of 100% paid parental leave, fertility, adoption, and child care resources, as well as pet insurance and discounts
Company Gatherings – We host fun happy hours and company events where our employees get to know each other and build a sense of connection and belonging!
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value the rich dynamics that diversity brings to our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy and sexual harassment), gender identity or expression, uniformed service or veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic. Period.