Director / Sr. Product Counsel
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, October 19, 2023
Match Group, through its portfolio companies, is a leading provider of dating products available globally. Our portfolio of brands is designed to increase our users' likelihood of finding a meaningful connection.
As a Director & Sr. Product Counsel on our Match Group Business Affairs and Legal team, you will provide day-to-day legal support to our central Match Group innovation teams as well as to our OkCupid, Match, The League, Plenty of Fish and Match Affinity brands.
This is a hybrid role, based in either Los Angeles, Dallas or New York where you will work in the office three days a week.
How you'll make an impact:
- You will lead the legal review of new and innovative features, with a focus on AI and other emerging technologies, spotting issues and organizing all relevant stakeholders and seeking input and consensus around recommendations to the business team.
- You will serve as the legal liaison to product teams regarding compliance with international, federal and state laws and regulations relevant to consumer-facing technology services, including data protection, privacy, intellectual property and consumer protection laws.
- You will draft and negotiate various commercial agreements, including product integration, SAAS, technology, payments, analytics, research, licensing, development and other general operations agreements.
- You will build relationships with and provide practical and solution-oriented day-to-day legal advice and product counsel to brand product, design and engineering teams from initial stages of product development through launch and commercialization.
- You will develop a deep understanding of various brands’ technology and tech stacks and provide practical and innovative counsel to support high impact and timely product launches.
- You will work closely and collaboratively with brand teams to identify and achieve desired business outcomes while minimizing legal risk.
- You’ll facilitate the administration of corporate policies and procedures, such as vendor security, privacy compliance and contract approval.
- You will collaborate with Match Group’s government relations, trust and safety, and PR teams to ensure our internal and external efforts are aligned with Match Group’s mission and ethics.
- You will advise and manage workflow process improvement, playbook development, client training, and template use to address the evolving needs of a growing organization.
We could be a match if:
- You have a law degree from a top accredited law school and admission (or in-house eligibility) to practice law in New York, Texas or California and 6+ years experience, including both top national law firm and in-house legal department experience.
- You have substantial and direct experience providing technology product counseling on complex products to stakeholders, including non-lawyers, and ideally in B2C digital industries such as gaming, music, mobile, video, online marketplaces and/or social media.
- You have excellent business communication and analytical skills, as well as an impeccable attention to detail and strong sense of ownership and accountability.
- You possess a strong desire to learn the business, associated technologies, and new areas of law and have a natural ease in working cross-functionally as a practical-minded legal partner to business teams.
- You are an independent self-starter, and are comfortable making decisions and providing advice on the fly in an ever-changing and fast-paced environment.
- You have a positive attitude and professional ease in working collaboratively with other members of the Business Affairs and Legal Department and Brand teams.
What's the team like?
- Successful Sr. Counsels on this team are strategic thinkers who thrive in new situations and can simultaneously manage multiple demands and shifting priorities within a fast-paced and rapidly evolving environment.
- The team includes members with legal backgrounds across a range of customer-facing industries, including software, gaming, social networking, travel, hospitality, sports, retail and music.
Why Match Group?
Our mission is simple – to help people find love and happiness! We love our employees too and understand the importance of all life's milestones. Here are some of the benefits we are proud to offer:
Mind & Body – Medical, mental health, and wellness benefits to support your overall health and well-being
Financial Wellness – Competitive compensation, 100% employer match on 401k contributions up to 10% (cap at $10,000), as well as an employee stock purchase program to help you feel supported in your financial security
Unplug – Generous PTO and 15 paid holidays so you can unplug
Career – Annual training allowance for professional development and ERG membership opportunities and events so you feel connected and empowered in your work
Family – Families come in all shapes and sizes so we offer 20 weeks of 100% paid parental leave, fertility, adoption, and child care resources, as well as pet insurance and discounts
Company Gatherings – We host fun happy hours and company events where our employees get to know each other and build a sense of connection and belonging!
We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we value the rich dynamics that diversity brings to our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, disability, marital status, age, sexual orientation, sex (including pregnancy and sexual harassment), gender identity or expression, uniformed service or veteran status, genetic information, or any other legally protected characteristic. Period.