Director of Education & Outreach, Hinge Trust & Safety
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2023
Hinge is the dating app designed to be deleted
In today's digital world, finding genuine relationships is tougher than ever. At Hinge, we’re on a mission to inspire intimate connection to create a less lonely world. We’re obsessed with understanding our users’ behaviors to help them find love, and our success is defined by one simple metric– setting up great dates. With tens of millions of users across the globe, we’ve become the most trusted way to find a relationship, for all.
About the Role
Hinge Trust & Safety is looking for a skilled Director of Education & Outreach to build, develop, and grow a world-class team of learning specialists and communications experts. Reporting to the VP of Trust & Safety, this is a highly cross-functional role responsible for knowledge management, external engagement, and continuous upskilling of content moderators, customer support specialists, and users.
This position will build the strategy, structure, team, and programs to ensure Hinge can effectively implement policy changes, ensure users are seamlessly informed in the app, and are advocated for internally. This position is responsible for setting the company’s education and outreach strategy, engaging and listening to external audiences so their concerns are mitigated and solved, and ensuring a steady drumbeat of engaging educational content is delivered to the right audience at the right time in the right format.
In this role, you will work closely with all Trust & Safety teams, Research, Product, HR, and other cross-functional teams to improve precision and quality of Hinge’s operations while also growing user trust. Strong candidates should have deep experience building innovative learning solutions at scale, strategic thinking, and people management.
- Team Creation & Leadership - Builds, coaches, and grows a highly-functioning team focused on improving understanding and retention of knowledge critical to both internal and external audiences. Manages budgets, schedules, work plans, and performance requirements. Influences and supports employee engagement, including diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Scaled Education - Develops and continually improves the technology and techniques used to train internal and external audiences on an array of topics. Manages all online training including the development of a learning management system (LMS).
- Outreach & Community Engagement - Build and grow a team responsible for nurturing relationships with our user community through online forums, social media, and other communication channels. Address user questions, concerns, and feedback in a timely and helpful manner.
- Innovative Content Development - Ensures Hinge is using the latest proven technology and formats to drive meaningful learning outcomes.
- Trust & Safety Expertise - Leverages in-depth knowledge about how to protect users online to deliver high-impact learning experiences for internal and external audiences. Deeply understands the complex nature of policy communications, customer support, and content moderation.
- Strategic Planning - Sets the long-term strategy, vision, and core functions of the team to ensure internal and external audiences get the right information at the right time in the right way. Establishes operational objectives/ work plans and delegates assignments.
- Copywriting - Collaborates with Design, Marketing, Comms, and cross-functional stakeholders to deliver highly-polished content on small and large-scale projects. Experience delivering copywriting on tight deadlines using both in-house teams as well as contractors and vendors as needed.
- Innovation - Tracks and adopts the latest proven educational tools and techniques to deliver high-impact learning experiences.
What We’re Looking For
- 10+ years experience building, coaching, and growing high-performing teams.5+ years experience working in Trust & Safety, preferably at a technology company.
- Proven team leader and strategic thinker able to anticipate future opportunities where education will proactively mitigate user harm.
- Proven track record of implementing educational solutions at scale. Experience at a product-led company is a plus.
- Highly motivated, proactive and collaborative team player with the ability to persuade others and influence outcomes.
- Strong skills in managing a diverse set of stakeholders in a highly matrixed environment.
As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy:
401(k) Matching: We match 100% of the first 10% of pre-tax 401(k) contributions you make, up to a maximum of $10,000 per year.
Professional Growth: Get a $3,000 annual Learning & Development stipend once you’ve been with us for three months. You also get free access to Udemy, an online learning and teaching marketplace with over 6000 courses, starting your first day.
Parental Leave & Planning: When you become a new parent, you’re eligible for 100% paid parental leave (20 paid weeks for both birth and non-birth parents.)
Fertility Support: You’ll get easy access to fertility care through Carrot, from basic treatments to fertility preservation. We also provide $10,000 toward fertility preservation. You and your spouse/domestic partner are both eligible.
Date Stipend: All Hinge employees receive a $100 monthly stipend for epic dates– Romantic or otherwise. Hinge Premium is also free for employees and their loved ones.
ERGs: We have eight Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)—Asian, Unapologetic, Disability, LGBTQIA+, Vibras, Women/Nonbinary, Parents, and Remote—that hold regular meetings, host events, and provide dedicated support to the organization & its community.
At Hinge, our core values are…
Authenticity: We share, never hide, our words, actions and intentions.
Courage: We embrace lofty goals and tough challenges.
Empathy: We deeply consider the perspective of others.
Diversity inspires innovation
Hinge is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We believe success is created by a diverse workforce of individuals with different ideas, strengths, interests, and cultural backgrounds.