Communications Director (Japan & Korea)
Marketing & Communications
Posted on Thursday, August 24, 2023
Tinder, the most popular dating app in the world, is searching for a dynamic communications leader to join our remarkable team. Tinder has always been driven by youth culture, and today, Tinder is used mainly by Gen Z. This group continues to influence society and challenge constrictive norms in the most profound ways. No other generation has significantly impacted the workplace, retail consumption, technology, politics, and culture in the same way. It is this generation that we believe are driving the most change that we’ve ever seen in how we date, who we date and what dating is. Read more about how young people use Tinder today in “A Renaissance in Dating, Driven by Authenticity”, the second Future of Dating Report from Tinder driven by our Communications team.
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Tinder! We’re doing something meaningful—helping people find their people. And talking about people – Authenticity and Inclusion are hardwired here at Tinder. You’ll find opportunities to bring your light and create some best work of your life moments. You’ll be proud of the experiences you help create for humans all over the world. We are on a course to revolutionize how young adults meet and connect today; if you want to be a part of that… keep reading.
This is an exciting opportunity to mold, protect, and energetically share the compelling story of Tinder - as a progressive company, an innovative product, and a pop-cultural brand. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated individual with a profound understanding of the fast-changing media landscape in Japan (experience in Korea/ East Asia comms would be a plus) with an interest in swift decision-making, expert issues management, and spur-of-the-moment creativity.
As a generalist role, this role encompasses brand reputation driving strategy (consumer-focused comms), product communications (new features, innovation, and trust & safety) and corporate communications (crisis, reputation management and executive positioning). If you're known for your practical (read: level-headed), willing to take action approach, and creative brilliance, then this is the dream job you've been waiting for!
The Communications Director will report directly to the VP of Communications, APAC, and operate from our Tokyo office in a hybrid work environment which will require in office partnership 3x a week. This is not a remote role and requires fluency in English and native reading, writing and speaking skills in Japanese including a really deep and insightful grasp of the Japanese press and both traditional and new media landscape.
As the Director of Communications, your scope will include:
- Orchestrating and leading Japan and Korea/ East Asia communications strategies related to product and company narratives, as well as new product features , pr events and updates
- Collaborating with cross functional partners within Match Group and Tinder to promote trust, safety, and inclusivity narratives.
- Partner with regional teams to build impactful global campaigns and brand narratives
- Devising and implementing a streamlined, concise, and creative local executive communications strategy
- Directly engaging with media and external partners regularly and consistently to deepen relations and build impactful exposure and understanding for the brand
- Crafting product-specific messaging and collaborating closely with product marketing, and safety teams.
- Managing the country budget efficiently and smartly to the benefit of the brand goals
- Being the spokesperson for ongoing storytelling in the markets
- Supervising agency resources and planning - balancing critical thinking and work at your end and using agencies effectively for implementation
- While we understand that not every candidate will “tick all the boxes”, we believe our perfect match will resonate with our Tinder Values:
- You're a champion of simplicity, keeping communications clear and uncluttered while being resourceful enough to achieve significant results.
- Your optimism is infectious, and your ego never gets in the way of the big picture - you operate with humility.
- You understand that communications as a profession is changing and want to be a part of that change.
- You’re ready to explore new ways of breaking the routine. And bring ideas to the table
- You bring 10+ years of experience in the communications field, either in a corporate or agency environment.
- You've worked with partners and executives, helping to crystalize their vision and express their unique points of view.
- You appreciate a nimble and flexible environment, where being a Director means you’re a leader in charge and can advance high-impact work quickly
- You're a pro at taking global storytelling into the local market and can work with cross-functional teams to bring collaborative projects to life
- You consider yourself a hands-on leader with a strong network of relationships with journalists across many verticals.
- You’re not afraid and actually like to pick up the phone on an incoming note from a reporter, good or bad.
- You understand this is more of a generalist role oscillating between product, corporate, and trust & safety.
- While your focus is on the East Asian markets, you are comfortable working across multiple time zones.
- You show up as an expert and someone to look up and learn from within the Global comms team and the local market teams
- You possess the ability to devise and implement communications campaigns and can develop and expand capable of developing and expanding ambitious strategies
- You listen and respond to feedback and demonstrate clearly that you can introspect and evolve.
One Team, One Dream
Embrace our Differences
Never Stop Learning
As part of our team, you’ll enjoy:
-- Working on a product that has an immediate impact on people’s lives all around the world
-- 12 child care days per child, as well as days off for their graduation and admission interviews
-- Additional paid days off for weddings, anniversaries, pet checkups, and birthdays
-- Full reimbursement of commuting costs up to (up to 100,000 yen/month) and housing assistance for full-time employees
-- Relocation assistance for families with preschool age children who need to be closer to school for enrollment
-- Other perks include gifts for birthdays, weddings, and maternity leave
-- Professional Development stipend and No Meeting Wednesdays
-- The opportunity to join six active Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)
-- 6つのERG (マイノリティ従業員を尊重するグループ)に属することができる
--Black at Tinder (BET)
--Desis at Tinder (DAT)
--East Asians at Tinder (EAT)
--Latinx at Tinder (LAT)
--Pride at Tinder (PAT)
--Women at Tinder (WAT)