Communications Director, Americas
Marketing & Communications
West Hollywood, CA, USA
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2023
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
• Member Safety: Our top priority is to build an authentic, equitable, and respectful community
• Diversity: We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members
• Authenticity + Collaboration: We encourage authenticity to nurture a trustworthy, collaborative environment
• Big Ideas: We champion and rally behind big ideas, empowering people to think and act differently and to be unafraid of having a strong point of view
• Innovation: We never stand still; we’re inspired to build for what’s next, and we must constantly innovate, experiment, and learn
Tinder, the most popular dating app in the world, is searching for a dynamic communications leader to join our remarkable team. Tinder has always been driven by youth culture, and today, Tinder is used mainly by Gen Z. This group continues to influence society and challenge constrictive norms in the most profound ways. No other generation has significantly impacted the workplace, retail consumption, technology, politics, and culture in the same way. It is this generation that we believe are driving the most change that we’ve ever seen in how we date, who we date and what dating is. Read more about how young people use Tinder today in “A Renaissance in Dating, Driven by Authenticity”, the second Future of Dating Report from Tinder driven by our Communications team.
There’s never been a more exciting time to work at Tinder! We’re doing something meaningful—helping people find their people. And talk about the people – Authenticity and Inclusion are hardwired here at Tinder. You’ll find opportunities to bring your light and create some best work of your life moments. You’ll be proud of the experiences you help create for humans all over the world. We are on a course to revolutionize how young adults meet and connect today; if you want to be a part of that… keep reading.
This is an exciting opportunity to mold, protect, and energetically share the compelling story of Tinder - as a progressive company, an innovative product, and a pop-cultural brand. The ideal candidate is a self-motivated individual with a profound understanding of the fast-changing media landscape in the United States (experience in Canada would be a plus) with an interest in swift decision-making, expert issues management, and spur-of-the-moment creativity.
As a generalist role, this role encompasses brand reputation driving strategy (consumer-focused comms), product communications (new features, innovation, and trust & safety) and corporate communications (crisis, reputation management and executive positioning). If you're known for your practical (read: level-headed), willing to take action approach, and creative brilliance, then this is the dream job you've been waiting for.
The Communications Director will report directly to the VP of Communications, Americas, and operate from our Los Angeles (West Hollywood) office in a hybrid work environment which will require in office partnership 3x a week. While we're not offering fully remote work for this role, we'd gladly roll out the welcome mat for those willing to relocate.
As the Communications Director, your scope will include:
- Orchestrating and leading U.S. communications strategies related to product and company narratives, as well as new product features and updates.
- Collaborating with our parent company, Match Group, to promote trust, safety, and inclusivity narratives in the U.S.
- Partner with regional teams to create impactful global campaigns and brand narratives.
- Devising and implementing a crisp, concise, and creative executive communications strategy.
- Directly engaging with media and external partners.
- Crafting product-specific messaging and collaborating closely with product marketing, and safety teams.
- Supervising agency resources and planning.
- While we understand that not every candidate will “tick all the boxes”, we believe our perfect match will resonate with our Tinder Values:
- You're a champion of simplicity, keeping communications clear and uncluttered while being resourceful enough to achieve significant results without the need for big budgets (to be clear, we still have significant budgets!).
- Your optimism is infectious, and your ego never gets in the way of the big picture - you operate with humility.
- You understand that communications as a profession is changing and want to be a part of that change. You’re ready to explore new ways of breaking the routine.
- You bring 10+ years of experience in the communications field, either in a corporate or agency environment.
- You've worked with partners and executives, helping to crystalize their vision and express their unique points of view.
- You appreciate a nimble and flexible environment, where being a Director means you’re a leader in charge and can advance high-impact work quickly.
- You're a whizz at consumer tech product communications, having successfully orchestrated numerous product feature launches with cross-functional teams.
- You consider yourself a hands-on leader with a strong network of relationships with journalists across many verticals. You’re not afraid to pick up the phone on an incoming note from a reporter, good or bad.
- You understand this is more of a generalist role oscillating between product, corporate, and trust & safety.
- While your focus is on the North American markets, you are comfortable working across multiple time zones.
- You possess the ability to devise and implement communications campaigns and can develop and expand capable of developing and expanding ambitious strategies.
One Team, One Dream
Embrace our Differences
Never Stop Learning
As a full-time employee, you’ll enjoy:
- Unlimited PTO (with no waiting period), 10 annual Wellness Days
- Time off to volunteer and charitable donations matched up to $15,000 annually
- Comprehensive health, vision, and dental coverage100%
- 401(k) employer match up to 10%, Employee Stock Purchase Plan (ESPP)
- 100% paid parental leave (including for non-birthing parents), family forming benefits, and Milk Stork, which provides access to breast milk shipping for business travel, surrogacy, and employee relocation
- Investment in your development: mentorship through our MentorMatch program, access to 6,000+ online courses through Udemy, and an annual $3,000 stipend for your professional development
- Investment in your wellness: access to mental health support via Modern Health, BetterHelp, and Insight Timer; paid concierge medical membership, pet insurance, fitness membership subsidy, and commuter subsidy
- Free subscription to Tinder Gold
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei