Lead UX Researcher, Growth (Monetization)
Design, Sales & Business Development
New York, NY, USA
Posted on Tuesday, August 1, 2023
Hinge is the dating app designed to be deleted
In today's digital world, finding genuine relationships is tougher than ever. At Hinge, we’re on a mission to inspire intimate connection to create a less lonely world. We’re obsessed with understanding our users’ behaviors to help them find love, and our success is defined by one simple metric– setting up great dates. With tens of millions of users across the globe, we’ve become the most trusted way to find a relationship, for all.
About the Role
Hinge is hiring a Lead Researcher, Growth, to improve user experiences on Hinge around the globe and drive product excellence within Hinge’s Growth product group. The Growth product group is responsible for creating wonderful free and paid experiences for millions of daters. In this role working on the Monetization team, you will focus on understanding how our paid experiences can better help people go on great dates, how premium features serve different communities, and how to leverage experiments to optimize current offering and messaging. With innovation and inclusion at the center, your work will impact how daters across the globe are finding connection and love.
You will report to and work collaboratively with the Research Manager for Growth. You will join a close-knit group of 9 researchers and research operations. Research at Hinge is part of the Product team, and therefore you will also work closely with Design, Product Managers, Data Science, Business Intelligence, Brand, Community, and Engineering to execute and communicate research findings to inform internal partners about the user experience. You will be empowered to lead multiple end-to-end research projects that utilize a range of methods and span different phases of product development and partner with the broader research team.
Working here, your research will have a tangible impact for daters across the globe and help them move off the app.
- Own and build out research on revenue opportunities for various audiences.
- Develop research strategies and conduct research for Growth, with a focus on the Monetization team.
- Work collaboratively with other researchers, product team members (i.e., product managers and designers) and cross-functional partners (i.e., data science, customer experience, marketing and brand strategy) to identify key research questions and prioritize projects in the short and long term.
- Generate actionable insights and communicate them in compelling and creative ways; bridge alignment across Hinge teams through written reports and live presentations to cross-functional partners.
- Engage in and inspire honest and clear communication, promoting a culture of care, empathy, and respect.
Within three months we expect you to:
- Lead the exploration of audience segmentation to help refine how we might optimize our paid experiences and communicate key actionable insights and recommendations to improve the user experience on Hinge.
- Develop and advance research roadmaps for the Growth Monetization team, identifying key opportunities for exploration and optimization.
- 6+ years of user research experience, including 2-3 years of experience in a consumer-facing product research role.
- Experience working on monetization, subscriptions or new revenue streams or zero-to-one products.
- Experience and passion for centering marginalized and vulnerable communities in the pursuit of advocating for equitable user experiences.
- Possess strong quantitative (e.g., survey, experimental) skills and expertise with measuring sentiment in experiment frameworks.
- Passionate and curious about how user research can be leveraged to improve how users find and maintain romantic connections.
- Experience working through complex or ambiguous situations to develop strategy.
- Strong communicator, committed to telling clear and compelling stories with data.
- Proficient in data manipulation, analysis, and dashboard creation with R, SPSS, and/or Looker (or similar statistical software.)
- Dedicated to building trusting, successful partnerships with cross-functional partners (e.g. data science, customer experience, product management, design, engineering, marketing.)
- Eager to learn from, collaborate with, and mentor other researchers.
- Masters or PhD in social psychology, human development, sociology, anthropology, or human computer interaction or related field or equivalent practical experiences.
What is not Required:
- You do not have to have a degree to apply, we are open to equivalent industry experiences.
- You do not have to be an expert in all user experience research methods to apply. Expertise in specific quantitative (i.e., survey, experimental) methods, desire to solve complex problems, and motivation to continue growing is what we are looking for.
As a member of our team, you’ll enjoy:
401(k) Matching: We match 100% of the first 10% of pre-tax 401(k) contributions you make, up to a maximum of $10,000 per year.
Professional Growth: Get a $3,000 annual Learning & Development stipend once you’ve been with us for three months. You also get free access to Udemy, an online learning and teaching marketplace with over 6000 courses, starting your first day.
Parental Leave & Planning: When you become a new parent, you’re eligible for 100% paid parental leave (20 paid weeks for both birth and non-birth parents.)
Fertility Support: You’ll get easy access to fertility care through Carrot, from basic treatments to fertility preservation. We also provide $10,000 toward fertility preservation. You and your spouse/domestic partner are both eligible.
Date Stipend: All Hinge employees receive a $100 monthly stipend for epic dates– Romantic or otherwise. Hinge Premium is also free for employees and their loved ones.
ERGs: We have eight Employee Resource Groups (ERGs)—Asian, Unapologetic, Disability, LGBTQIA+, Vibras, Women/Nonbinary, Parents, and Remote—that hold regular meetings, host events, and provide dedicated support to the organization & its community.
At Hinge, our core values are…
Authenticity: We share, never hide, our words, actions and intentions.
Courage: We embrace lofty goals and tough challenges.
Empathy: We deeply consider the perspective of others.
Diversity inspires innovation
Hinge is an equal-opportunity employer. We value diversity at our company and do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We believe success is created by a diverse workforce of individuals with different ideas, strengths, interests, and cultural backgrounds.