Sr. Data Scientist (Recommendations)
West Hollywood, CA, USA
Posted on Thursday, April 13, 2023
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
• Member Safety: Our top priority is to build an authentic, equitable, and respectful community
• Diversity: We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members
• Authenticity + Collaboration: We encourage authenticity to nurture a trustworthy, collaborative environment
• Big Ideas: We champion and rally behind big ideas, empowering people to think and act differently and to be unafraid of having a strong point of view
• Innovation: We never stand still; we’re inspired to build for what’s next, and we must constantly innovate, experiment, and learn
The Analytics team powers data-informed decision-making at Tinder, and we are hiring a Senior Data Scientist to join our growing team and work closely. This role will work closely with the Recommendations Product team to optimize Tinder’s recommendations algorithm and drive initiatives that impact member engagement and revenue. We are looking for creative, tenacious problem solvers who are passionate about our product and excited to work with our rich, sophisticated data. As a Senior Data Scientist on Analytics, you will partner with multiple teams - including Product, Marketing, Engineering, and Finance - to improve our extraordinary platform.
You will enhance a comprehensive dataset of user behaviors to develop experiments, predictive models, automated reports, and various exploratory user insights to guide our business decisions. You will also be an authority on the Analytics team, mentoring more junior data scientists, driving Analytics-led projects, and pushing the team to improve their knowledge and toolset.
An effective Senior Data Scientist at Tinder must have a passion and skills for turning sophisticated problems into concrete hypotheses that can be answered through meticulous data analysis and A/B testing. You will be able to disseminate findings and recommendations to a variety of partners across the organization via presentations, reports, and dashboards. You must also distinguish yourself as a leader, both on the Analytics team and across the company. In this role, your insights will influence the performance of our business, the experience of our users, and the direction of analytics at Tinder.
- Be an authority with a point of view for the organization and the team, using data to constantly challenge and reshape our understanding of customer behavior and business performance
- Derive and communicate data-driven recommendations regarding both the prioritization of potential product/marketing initiatives and performance of current initiatives
- Define and operationalize the detailed tracking of company-wide, team-specific, and product-specific performance metrics via rollup tables, dashboards, and automated reporting
- Design and analyze experiments for Tinder’s core recommendations and ML to rigorously test specific hypotheses
- Find the “story” in the data and share insights across the organizationBe a mentor/advisor for other Data Scientists on the Analytics team
- Bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field (e.g. Economics, Computer Science, Statistics), Master’s degree or PhD preferred
- 4+ years of validated experience in data science or analytics, preferably on user-facing consumer experiences
- Experience with recommendation products is a plus
- Ability to develop a multifaceted business understanding, testable hypotheses, and meaningful findings from data
- Eagerness to identify and explore new product/marketing opportunities, potential improvements to our data infrastructure, and unanswered questions about customer behavior
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, and a willingness to collaborate with business partnersExperienced with SQL and data visualization tools (e.g. Tableau or Mode)
- Proficient in Python or R
- Meaningful experience with and understanding of A/B testing and advanced statistical techniques
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei
See more open positions at Hinge
Something looks off?