Software Engineer, Data Infrastructure
Software Engineering, Other Engineering
Mexico City, Mexico
Posted on Tuesday, April 11, 2023
As humans, there are few things more exciting than meeting someone new. At Tinder, we’re inspired by the challenge of keeping the magic of human connection alive. With tens of millions of users, hundreds of millions of downloads, 2+ billion swipes per day, 20+ million matches per day, and a presence in 190+ countries, our reach is expansive—and rapidly growing.
We work together to solve complex problems. Behind the simplicity of every match, we think deeply about human relationships, behavioral science, network economics, AI and ML, online and real-world safety, cultural nuances, loneliness, love, sex, and more.
• Member Safety: Our top priority is to build an authentic, equitable, and respectful community
• Diversity: We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members
• Authenticity + Collaboration: We encourage authenticity to nurture a trustworthy, collaborative environment
• Big Ideas: We champion and rally behind big ideas, empowering people to to think and act differently and to be unafraid of having a strong point of view
• Innovation: We never stand still; we’re inspired to build for what’s next, and we must constantly innovate, experiment, and learn
The Engineering team is responsible for building innovative features and resilient systems that bring people together. We're always experimenting with new features to engage with our members. Although we are a high-scale tech company, the member-to-engineer ratio is very high—making the level of impact each engineer gets to have at Tinder enormous.
The Data Infrastructure team (which falls under the Cloud Infrastructure organization) is responsible for the platforms and frameworks responsible for all of the online and offline compute solutions that are leveraged by different Data, Analytics as well as Product engineering teams at Tinder. We provide the solutions that enable our stakeholders to process massive amounts of data at scale to derive valuable insights and personalization features that help improve the user experience for our Members.
Our data platforms include:
In this role, you will:
- Work on building and maintaining online (stream) compute platforms and frameworks that can process data in excess of 1GB per second using Apache Flink.
- Work on building offline (batch) compute frameworks for processing data off our Petabyte scale data lake using Apache Spark.
- Coordinate with engineering, analytics, and other teams to assess the cost and value of existing and potential projects.
- Research and evaluate new technologies in the big data space to guide our continuous improvement.
- Collaborate with multifunctional engineers across the company to help tune the performance of large data applications to drive cost savings.
- Work on initiatives to ensure stability, performance and reliability of our data infrastructureBe part of an “expert” group that will guide and support engineers on design and best practices for their data processing needs.
- 3+ years of experience working with a distributed framework like Spark, Flink, Kafka Streams, Storm, or Hadoop.
- 1+ years of experience with ETL job orchestration, preferably with a feature-rich tool such as Airflow or Argo.
- 2+ years of experience and demonstrated proficiency working with programming languages like Scala, Python or Java.
- 2+ years of demonstrable experience with large data volumes.
- An eagerness to learn new technologies and work on ambiguous, open ended projects to uncover opportunities to continuously improve our platform offerings.
Nice to have:
- Exposure to a variety of databases and no-SQL appliances (Redshift, Snowflake, Druid, Dynamo, Cassandra, Kafka, Elastic Search, Hive, etc.)
- Experience with public cloud infrastructure such as AWS, Azure or GCP.
- Experience with containerized applications using Docker and Kubernetes.
Commitment to Inclusion
At Tinder, we don’t just accept difference, we celebrate it. We strive to build a workplace that reflects the rich diversity of our members around the world, and we value unique perspectives and backgrounds. Even if you don’t meet all the listed qualifications, we invite you to apply and show us how your skills could transfer. Tinder is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace where we welcome people of all sexes, gender identities, races, ethnicities, disabilities, and other lived experiences. Learn more here: https://www.lifeattinder.com/dei
See more open positions at Hinge
Something looks off?