Ghost is a private, b2b marketplace that helps scale distribution for the best brands in the world. Ghost works with leading brands in streetwear, apparel, footwear, beauty, and home to find alternative distribution channels for surplus inventory. By providing transparency, data, and a network of vetted buyers, the Ghost platform serves as the backbone for sellers to diversify and optimize their inventory lifecycle. Backed by top VC funds (Cathay, USV, Equal, Eniac), Ghost is one of the fastest growing startups in LA.
As the Controller at Ghost, you will hold a pivotal leadership role within our finance department, overseeing the full spectrum of financial management and reporting. Your specialized skills in marketplace accounting, compliance, and strategic planning will be instrumental in driving well-informed decision-making and optimizing our financial performance. Collaborating closely with cross-functional teams, you will provide guidance to help us reach our financial objectives while upholding our unwavering commitment to financial integrity.
About the Role:
- Oversee day-to-day operations related to accounts payable, accounts receivable, and general ledger functions to enhance accuracy and operational efficiency.
- Lead month-end and year-end closing processes to ensure the timely and precise preparation of financial statements.
- Collaborate closely with external auditors, tax advisors, and regulatory agencies to maintain full compliance with financial and legal requirements.
- Conduct Profit and Loss (P&L) clean-up and variance assessments, identifying opportunities for improvement and cost optimization.
- Assess and optimize partnership structures for financial efficiency and strategic alignment.
- Manage the approval of payments to vendors and partners, maintaining financial integrity.
- Assist our partners in reconciling inventory records, ensuring accuracy and transparency.
- Provide expertise in managing entity changes and optimizing the company's structure for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Contribute to the development and enhancement of the ERP system to streamline financial processes.
- Analyze financial data to identify areas for improvement and cost optimization, driving informed decision-making.
- Bachelor's degree in Finance, Accounting, or a related field; CPA designation is a plus.
- Proficient in fundamental accounting principles with a proven track record of managing and expanding accounting teams.
- Prior experience in financial department leadership, particularly within a marketplace organization, preferably at an early-stage startup.
- High level of expertise in financial software and ERP systems, with a preference for experience in implementing platforms like NetSuite or similar solutions.
- Extensive background in reconciliation and a passion for delving into complex problem-solving.
- Demonstrated ability to excel in a fast-paced and dynamic environment, with the flexibility to adapt to evolving business demands.
What you will love:
- We believe if we aren’t first, we’re last! We need to be the best at what we do. We must set the highest standards in our winner-take-all market. We fight for every dollar and never settle. We are all owners, hustlers, and streetfighters - working together to achieve a unified goal.
- Anything we can do tomorrow, we can do today. We drive a culture of high velocity, leaving no room for analysis paralysis. We promote efficiency and progress in every step we take. If it will help the business, just do it. It’s better to get a speeding ticket than a parking ticket.
- We are a customer-obsessed company and believe in making it magical: Our members are at the center of our universe. We continuously strive to create experiences that are 10x better at every touchpoint. We anticipate their needs and go above and beyond, delivering experiences that surpass expectations.
- We believe in working as a team to provide solutions, not problems. We are committed to reaching our goals, no matter the challenges. We tackle projects as a team, with a "jump in with both feet" mentality. Every roadblock is an opportunity for innovation. No task is too big or too small, and we take on challenges beyond our core responsibilities, spreading optimism and confidence.
- We embrace radical candor. We embrace difficult questions and uncomfortable answers. Our decisions are grounded in data and facts, leading to meaningful and sustainable outcomes. We value giving and receiving open, honest feedback. We critique ideas, not individuals. We embrace radical transparency and rigorous thinking, avoiding decisions driven by ego or self-interest.
Benefits we offer:
- Medical, Vision, and Dental with some plans covered at 100%
- Competitive compensation and equity structure
- Unlimited PTO
- Monthly catered lunch
Our total compensation for this position can range from $125,000-$180,000. The actual amounts may vary based on factors such as experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities related to the position.