Software Engineering Manager
Working in engineering at Briq puts you squarely in the driver’s seat of building the next generation of construction financial management, planning, and intelligence software. The problems we work to solve every day are deeply complex and rewarding, both for the engineering team and our customers. Engineering at Briq also provides ample opportunities to work closely with product, UX, infrastructure, devops and other stakeholders outside of tech – there are endless ways for you to gain & refine new skills, deliver value, and make an impact.
We are builders first and foremost; We are looking for the best ideas and tools for the job at hand. As such, we are continually evaluating our stack, approaches, and process to deliver performant and scalable solutions for our clients. Working in engineering at Briq, you can expect to leverage some of the latest technologies and software design paradigms available and would be responsible for quality control on application build on:
- Vue.js frontend
- Python/Flask microservice architecture
- Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
- CI/CD with Gitlab
- Machine learning
What does the future of this department look like? Where is this going and why do I want to come along for the ride?
As an engineering team within a hyper-growth startup, we are tasked with continuously expanding both the team and the functionalities afforded to our clients by our products and services. This makes for abundant personal and professional growth opportunities within the organization. Regardless of whether you desire to hone engineering skills and deliver killer features as an individual contributor or take on people/process focused management roles, engineering at Briq offers separate-but-equal tracks with opportunity for vertical career progression.
Given the breadth of our platform, there are a wide variety of problems to solve both today and on the roadmap. If what you are working on today falls out of favor, there is no shortage of new frontiers to conquer. We deeply believe the best solutions are put forward by happy, engaged, and healthily challenged engineers.
If being an integral part of creating a powerful & diverse platform while helping to shape and grow a rapidly expanding engineering organization sounds exciting, Briq is the place for you!
In a nutshell, what will I do every day in this role?
The Software Engineering Manager will coordinate and oversee the day-to-day activities of a software development team in a specific product area. This person will work directly on the product with the team, ensuring to the best of their ability that deadlines are honored, standards are upheld, and code quality is high. Success in the role necessitates close collaboration with product and quality assurance team members. This role is responsible for directly managing software engineers, including duties related to interviewing, training, discipline, and termination in accordance with company policy.
Why will I love this job within the context of our pillars?
We are Builders: Create new things, improve the existing, and grow with the team every day.
We Evolve and learn every day: Learn new skills, research and prove-out new technology & approaches, and mentor a team of exemplary professionals.
We take Ownership with Accountability: Briq is yours – embrace the entire software development lifecycle for an application area end-to-end and have a significant impact on the value our clients receive.
We Go Fast and Win: Agile with 2 week sprints means we are constantly delivering and iterating over features and functionality with direct and insightful feedback from our users.
We encourage constructive Dialogue:
Briq’s culture was designed to put an emphasis on communication and collaboration.
We never suffer in silence, as we approach struggles as opportunities to learn and
improve. “Dialogue” pillar gives you an opportunity to not only
leave an impact in the work you directly do, but an impact on the company as a whole
We are a Community:
You are part of a community not just at Briq, but in the entire North American
construction industry. You know how to build relationships with colleagues, and can rely
on the teams you work with to be successful in your role.
We are Future Positive:
The challenges we face today are opportunities to make something great or to do something better. From sharing an idea to implementing the solution, feel empowered to make an impact on the future of Briq.
Responsibilities for this role:
- Support the successful execution of software engineering activities related to ongoing product development and maintenance by contributing and reviewing technical designs and code
- Collaborate with the product and QA teams to ensure features and fixes taken under development with intent to release are supportable, appropriately scoped, and are ultimately of high quality
- Identify, propose, and present solutions for consideration that may mitigate issues or provide substantial improvement to performance and stability in accountable product area(s)
- Assist with the translation of business and design requirements into actionable technical requirements within the team
- Facilitate effective assignment of work to engineers within the team
- Manage the training, development, and performance of engineers within the team
- Supervise and report on the effectiveness and contributions of contractors or other outsourced resources as required
- Assist with ongoing recruiting efforts of technical staff as required
Qualifications for this role:
- A bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, software engineering or related field is preferred
- 5+ years in software development, software design, software quality assurance or related experience, plus 2+ years of demonstrated success building and managing engineering teams
- Experience developing, testing, and maintaining web applications using a modern web framework (Vue.js, React, etc)
- Familiarity with microservice architectures, experience developing microservices (Python/Flask, etc) is a plus
- Comfortable drawing on experience to provide constructive criticism on merge requests to the code base in an effort to elevate and uphold code quality and agreed upon standards
- Ability to consistently assist with efforts related to prioritizing and reprioritizing work for yourself and the team based on availability, product need, and team member strength/knowledge
- You are a builder – Execution oriented approach to software development that prioritizes positioning the team to iteratively deliver substantial value for our clients in a sustainable and timely manner. You proactively work to unblock your team and drive consensus on collaborative projects. You aren’t afraid to think outside of the box and substantiate your arguments and ideas with data and material examples