Finance & Strategy Manager (Education)
Accounting & Finance, Operations
Posted on Friday, May 19, 2023
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has a lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $175 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a fully remote team with employees across every time zone in the US. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
Who You Are
Brightwheel is seeking a talented Finance & Strategy Manager to join our Finance team to support brightwheel's Education business. The ideal candidate should have extensive experience in owning full business segments and P&Ls (with exposure in forecasting revenue, margin and cash flow), and cross-functional stakeholder management.
You are passionate, highly motivated and will be the financial partner for our growing Education business. As a high impact member of the Finance and Strategy team, you will be a driver in cross-functional collaboration + accountability and have the opportunity to build out our growth and financial strategy for our Education business. You will partner with important decision makers to deliver key analyses to drive top initiatives and future scale.
This is a highly visible role in the organization involving close partnership with senior business leaders.
What You'll Do
- Own and build detailed and dynamic three statement financial model that forecasts revenue, COGS, OpEx to arrive at a monthly and annual financial forecast for the business
- Build and maintain the Education business’s monthly top-line forecast model, set targets, and understand variances in actuals to drive strategy and operational rigor
- Partner closely with Sales, Marketing, & Customer Success teams to develop goals and then identify resourcing needs and systems improvements required to accomplish them
- Collaborate with supply chain and procurement to understand purchasing lead times, warehouse planning, and production capacity to recommend inventory purchases and CaPex expenditures
- Build scalable processes and systems to enhance financial visibility, control and planning effectiveness that support the business and its next wave of growth
- Manage key expenses including headcount and OPEX for the Education business
- Assist in month-end close processes, reporting, and ad hoc projects and analyses
Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities
- Minimum 4 years of operational experience including experience within investment banking, private equity, or venture capital
- Recent experience working in a small strategic finance function at a high-growth company
- Industry and financial modeling experience with physical goods a plus
- High proficiency in Excel, Google Suite, and financial reporting softwares (SQL, Macros is a plus)
- Excellent analytical financial modeling and forecasting skills, with a deep understanding of model architecture and formula efficiency and business judgment to balance details while not losing sight of the big picture
- Strong grasp of the 3 financial statements and US GAAP
- Self-starter who is proactive, intellectually curious, and not afraid to seek out and lead projects independently
- Team player that thrives in a fast-paced environment, loves data and numbers, and is highly self-motivated and analytical
- Strong communication and presentation skills; comfortable presenting to senior management
Brightwheel is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.