Director of Engineering - User Data
Posted on Saturday, October 14, 2023
Attentive® is the world’s #1 conversational marketing platform, on a mission to maximize performance with intelligent, 1:1 SMS and email capabilities. Our SMS-first software platform helps everyone from entrepreneurs to enterprises strengthen relationships with their consumers in a new way. Through two-way, real-time, personalized communications, we drive billions in e-commerce revenue and over 8,000 leading brands like CB2, Pura Vida, GUESS and Urban Outfitters rely on Attentive to deliver powerful commerce experiences.
Attentive’s growth has been recognized by Deloitte’s Fast 500, Linkedin’s Top Startups and Forbes Cloud 100 all thanks to the hard work from our global employees!
We're looking for a Director of Engineering to lead our User Data team and support our mission to deliver personalized experiences for our clients. This team is responsible for ingesting client data, making that data actionable, and sending that data out to external systems. The team owns product areas such as:
-Audience syncing and property ingestion
-Webhooks, postbacks, and reverse ETL
This team will also play a key role in Attentive’s automation and AI products as they own and support our efforts to collect, clean, and activate data.
The Director is responsible for the day-to-day technology execution, will lead product delivery, and focus on delivering innovative product improvements. This role includes interfacing with the leadership team on long-term strategy, helping engineers across the organization solve problems, and executing solutions.
Why Attentive needs you
- You’ll participate in the detailed technical design, development, implementation and support of web stack and big data applications including extending its capabilities applications using existing and emerging technology platforms.
- You'll serve as a technical domain expert in data ingestion, data processing, data serving architectural design decisions, and ensuring high availability and performance of our applications.
- 8 years of experience managing engineering organizations, preferably with experience leading teams in the big data space
- 5 years of experience working on public cloud environments and associated deep understanding of data tools and solutions
- Understanding of high-quality code and software engineering processes, and you foster an environment that creates them
- Translate business needs into clearly scoped projects, and take a hands-on approach to steer solution design and implementation
- 8,000 brands powered by Attentive sent over 1.6 billion text messages over Cyber Week 2022 (Black Friday/Cyber Monday) representing a growth of 41% from 2021
- We sent 24 billion SMS messages in 2022. That’s an average of 50 million per day
- Our production cluster contains over 9,000 containers which serve 170+ services
- Our streaming services process over 28 billion events per month
What we use
- Our infrastructure runs primarily in Kubernetes hosted in AWS’s EKS
- Infrastructure tooling includes Istio, Datadog, Terraform, CloudFlare, and Helm
- Our backend is Java / Spring Boot microservices, built with Gradle, coupled with things like DynamoDB, Kinesis, AirFlow, Postgres, Planetscale, and Redis, hosted via AWS.
- Our frontend is built with React and TypeScript, and uses best practices like GraphQL, Storybook, Radix UI, Vite, esbuild, and Playwright
You’ll get competitive perks and benefits from health & wellness to equity, to help you bring your best self to work.
For US based applicants:
- The standard base salary range for this position is $229,600 - $344,400 annually
- This position is eligible for equity in the form of RSUs
Attentive Company Values
Default to Action - Move swiftly and with purpose
Be One Unstoppable Team - Rally as each other’s champions
Champion the Customer - Our success is defined by our customers' success
Act Like an Owner - Take responsibility for Attentive’s success
Learn more about AWAKE, Attentive’s collective of employee resource groups.
If you do not meet all the requirements listed here, we still encourage you to apply! No job description is perfect, and we may also have another opportunity that closely matches your skills and experience.
At Attentive, we know that our Company's strength lies in the diversity of our employees. Attentive is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we welcome applicants from all backgrounds. Our policy is to provide equal employment opportunities for all employees, applicants and covered individuals regardless of protected characteristics. We prioritize and maintain a fair, inclusive and equitable workplace free from discrimination, harassment, and retaliation.