Staff Data Scientist
Alloy is where you belong!
Alloy solves the identity risk problem for companies that offer financial products by enabling them to outpace fraud and confidently serve more people around the world. Banks and Fintechs turn to Alloy to take control of fraud, credit, and compliance risk, and grow with the clearest picture of their customers.
Through our values: Be Bold, Get Scrappy, Collaborate, and Celebrate Our Differences, we are creating a workplace where you can grow, thrive, and belong. See how we’ve been continuously recognized and named one of Inc.Magazine’s Best Workplaces, Forbes America’s Best Startup Employers, Best Fintech to Work for by American Banker, year after year.
Check out our investors and read more about us here.
About the team
Alloy operates in a hybrid-work environment. We look to foster collaboration and community by having our local employees onsite twice a week, and remote employees onsite once a quarter.
The Ongoing Core team is a mix of Backend, Frontend, and Data Engineers looking for someone who can operate with high autonomy to lead data science, machine learning, and AI capabilities within the Ongoing Core and, more generally, at Alloy. The position will be a high-impact role that will cut across multiple teams.
What you’ll be doing
At Alloy, we aim to help our clients protect themselves from the rapidly increasing and ever-changing threat of fraud. The Ongoing Core team is building products that help our clients monitor fraud and meet compliance needs in an ongoing manner. With over 180 data partners, we have massive amounts of data for decision-making.
You will make an impact by:
- Apply statistical and machine learning methods to build customer-facing models.
- Work closely with application engineers to operationalize models you've built, ensuring they meet rigors for customer usage, including model performance tracking and having mechanisms to retrain models.
- Take the initiative to innovate on our current models and apply new methodologies to new and existing problems/projects/products.
- Thought leadership around data governance and standardization
- Set standards for feature/variable definitions
- Produce documents that give visibility into the data pipelines you've built.
- Partner with engineering and product leads to provide guidance and leadership in roadmap planning.
- Anticipate future support and maintenance overhead for the data-driven features you've built.
- Analyze our data sets to help inform product roadmaps.
- Devise optimization models to recommend ways to improve fraud and compliance workflows.
- Create heuristics, anomaly detection methods, and unsupervised machine learning methods to detect and predict fraud.
- Solution-oriented with a preference for action.
- Communicate complicated concepts to a non-technical audience without diluting the complexity of the work.
- Build strong cross-functional relationships within Alloy.
- Natural curiosity with a knack for asking tough questions.
- Team player. You believe that big things happen when the right people are working together.
- 8+ years of relevant experience building/iterating on real-world production end-to-end models.
- Experience maintaining production machine learning models.
- Advanced proficiency in scripting languages like Python, SQL, Spark, or R.
- Experience with classification, clustering, regression, and time series models. Experience working with unbalanced data sets and regularization methods.
- Experience building models from scratch, iterating, and owning projects end to end.
- Be comfortable writing production-level code when needed.
Nice to Haves:
- Professional experience in fraud detection
- A/B testing
- Experience with developing solutions to support entity resolution
- Professional experience with Kubernetes and streaming technologies
- Experience with AWS SageMaker
At Alloy, we strive to attract & retain talent by providing compensation that is competitive with other organizations of our size & stage. We are committed to ensuring each candidate has what they need to be successful in their role with a balanced range of compensation, equity, perks & benefits. We actively share our compensation philosophy with employees, with the goal of fostering open and honest dialogue. Finally, we work to administer our philosophy and drive consistency in order to promote equity and monitor the fairness of each outcome.
The following range is based on the scoped level within the organization and only for highly targeted geographies: 205k-240k
Benefits and Perks
- Unlimited PTO and flexible work policy
- Medical, dental, vision plans with HSA (monthly employer contribution) and FSA options
- 401k with 100% match up to 4% of annual employee compensation with immediate eligibility and vesting
- Eligible new parents receive 16 weeks of paid parental leave
- Home office stipend for new employees
- Health & wellness monthly stipend
- $1,000 learning & development annual stipend
- 5 free teletherapy sessions and Headspace membership
- Well-being benefits include access to Carrot, Cleo, OneMedical, Gympass, and more
We're a lean team, so your impact will be felt immediately. If this all sounds like a good fit for you, why not join us?
Alloy’s Covid-19 Company Statement
Alloy does not require employees to be vaccinated against Covid-19, but vaccination or testing may be mandated by the relevant local laws with which the company will comply. If this position involves contact with third parties, attendance on-site for events, travel, and/or work in our New York City offices, those actions will be subject to any relevant local laws, venue or customer requirements, or travel requirements regarding vaccines or testing (and exemptions thereto).
How to Apply
Apply right here. You've found the application!
Alloy is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and employer. We’re committed to equal opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, gender, gender identity, parental or pregnancy status, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status. We are committed to an inclusive interview experience and provide reasonable accommodations to applicants with visible and invisible disabilities. We encourage applicants to share needed accommodations with their recruiter.