Sr. Data Engineer
Why is working in this department AMAZING!
Working in engineering at Briq puts you squarely in the driver’s seat of building the next generation of construction financial management, planning, and intelligence software. The problems we work to solve every day are deeply complex and rewarding, both for the engineering team and our customers. Engineering at Briq also provides ample opportunities to work closely with product, UX, infrastructure, devops and other stakeholders outside of tech – there are endless ways for you to gain & refine new skills, deliver value, and make an impact.
We are builders first and foremost; We are looking for the best ideas and tools for the job at hand. As such, we are continually evaluating our stack, approaches, and process to deliver performant and scalable solutions for our clients. Working in engineering at Briq, you can expect to leverage some of the latest technologies and software design paradigms available and would be responsible for quality control on application build on:
● Vue.js frontend
● Python/Flask microservice architecture
● Google Cloud Platform (GCP)
● CI/CD with Gitlab
● Machine learning
What does the future of this department look like? Where is this going and why do I want to come along for the ride?
As an engineering team within a hyper-growth startup, we are tasked with continuously expanding both the team and the functionalities afforded to our clients by our products and services. This makes for abundant personal and professional growth opportunities within the organization. Regardless of whether you desire to hone engineering skills and deliver amazing features as an individual contributor or take on people/process focused management roles, engineering at Briq offers separate-but-equal tracks with opportunity for vertical career progression.
Given the breadth of our platform, there are a wide variety of problems to solve both today and on the roadmap. If what you are working on today falls out of favor, there is no shortage of new frontiers to conquer. We deeply believe the best solutions are put forward by happy, engaged, and healthily challenged engineers.
If being an integral part of creating a powerful & diverse platform while helping to shape and grow a rapidly expanding engineering organization sounds exciting, Briq is the place for you!
In a nutshell, what will I do every day in this role?
We are looking to hire a skilled Sr. Data Engineer to observe, improve, help design, and fill a data warehousing environment for our company. Your day-to-day duties will include consulting with the data management team/partners, creating extraction and data transformation processes,
filling new and existing warehouses, creating designs and documenta-tion, and testing data upon completion.
To ensure success as an Sr. Data Engineer, you should have extensive knowledge of programming languages and warehouse architecture and be able to clearly communicate your ideas to the company. Ultimately, a top-level Sr. Data Engineer can create a highly efficient and customized
warehouse environment that perfectly suits the data storage and data processing needs of the company.
Why will I love this job within the context of our pillars?
We are Builders:Create new things, improve the existing, and grow with the team every day.
We Evolve and learn every day: Learn new skills, research and prove-out new technology & approaches, and mentor a team of exemplary professionals.
We take Ownership with Accountability: Briq is yours – embrace the entire software development lifecycle for an application area end-to-end and have a significant impact on the value our clients receive.
We Go Fast and Win: Agile with 2 week sprints means we are constantly delivering and iterating over features and functionality with direct and insightful feedback from our users.
We encourage constructive Dialogue:
Briq’s culture was designed to put an emphasis on communication and collaboration.
We never suffer in silence, as we approach struggles as opportunities to learn and
improve. As a Technical Writer, the “Dialogue” pillar gives you an opportunity to not only
leave an impact in the work you directly do, but an impact on the company as a whole
We are Future Positive:
The challenges we face today are opportunities to make something great or to do something better. From sharing an idea to implementing the solution, feel empowered to make an impact on the future of Briq.
We are a Community:
You are part of a community not just at Briq, but in the entire North American
construction industry. You know how to build relationships with colleagues, and can rely
on the teams you work with to be successful in your role.
Responsibilities for this role:
- Manage and structure our Data Warehouse, build ETLs, and architect our data models with the right infrastructure to enable quick, efficient, and scalable business insights
- Collaborate with Product, Engineering, Solution Architects, and Data Analysts to understand the data needs
- Own core source of truth reporting and prepare aggregation layers of data for different reporting and analytics purposes
- Work with key stakeholders to troubleshoot and debug complex technical issues that may arise
- Design and implement new solutions to address any ETL issues or processes that could be improved
Qualifications for this role:
- Bachelor’s degree (Master’s preferred) in computer science, data science, or a related field or equivalent experience
- Strong experience with Python 3.6 or later, Flask or Django, Microservice Architecture, REST APIs, Redis, Docker, Design Patterns, and Unit Testing (5+ years of experience)
- Familiarity with Git for version control and Pub/Sub for messaging (3+ years of experience)
- Expertise in SQL and NoSQL databases, data modeling, and ETL processes (5+ years of experience)
- Experience with database design and architecture (5+ years of experience)
- Proven work experience as a Sr. Data Engineer
- Strong project management and clear communication skills
- Ability to analyze a company’s big-picture data needs
- Highly self-organized and able to meet or plan for tight deadlines
- A plus: familiarity with Sage, Vista, Viewpoint, Procore, and Spectrum accounting systems
SQL, MongoDB, Postgres, Firebase, BigQuery, Python 3.6 or later, Flask or Django, Microservice Architecture, NoSQL, REST APIs, Redis, Docker, Design Patterns, Unit Testing, Git, Pub/Sub, Database Design
Something looks off?