Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Latin America - Remote)
Remote · United States
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2023
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has a lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $175 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a fully remote team with employees across every time zone in the US. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
We challenge ourselves every day to improve our quality of life—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve. We care deeply about how our work enriches our customers now and scales for the future.
We are owners and see our work through. We are growth-minded, we iterate, and we seek to improve continuously. We are pragmatic and root decisions in data, logic, and intuition. Yet, we value speed and a strong bias for action. We lean into collaboration, assume the best from everyone, and welcome differing opinions. We have audacious goals with a can-do attitude, break down walls to get stuff done, and are resourceful to accomplish more with less.
What You'll Do
- Work alongside product and design to scope and implement new features or product lines.
- Provide input to delivery and discovery–providing the team with new ideas, proposals, and constructive criticism.
- Be a steward of quality, scalability, security, and performance. You'll work with other engineers to ensure that we have a solid foundation that serves our customers and enables the team to continue building a great product.
- Design and architect new software systems or introduce new technologies, as appropriate, to support brightwheel’s growth.
- Share knowledge and expertise across the engineering team.
Qualifications: Technical Skills
- 5+ years of professional experience, preferably in dynamic companies/teams
- Proficiency in both contributing to and designing APIs using Ruby on Rails
- Expertise in writing automated tests (unit/integration/functional)
- Expertise in using Git (or VC equivalent)
- Experience with a variety of codebase sizes and age
- Experience with microservice or service-oriented architectures
- Experience with modern webapps like React.js preferred
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) preferred
- Must be open to 3rd party contracts through DEEL or another Employer of Record
Brightwheel is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.